Volume 4: Animals Out and About

Yuko POV

The first two meetings of the exam are over and done with. That ended the first day, and it was now the second day, almost time for the third meeting.

That dream I had, or should I say "we" had, was my confirmation that the original me was finally awake. That said, I can't really tell anyone, not even onii-sama. My plan needs to be implemented by tomorrow, since tomorrow is a rest day for the exam.

For now, the exam comes first.

"Toma-san!"

From behind me, a voice called out. It was Horikita-san, just my luck since I actually wanted to talk to her about something.

"Do you need something from me?" I asked her in a dull and timid tone.

"Yes, I'd like to ask about your brother."

"Oni-sa...You mean niisan? What do you wish to ask?"

"Do you know what he's going through right now? Why he's gloomier and less talkative?"

"Of course I do, but it's a rather insensitive topic, so I'm not going to mention it to someone like you."

"But we may be able to help. Hirata-kun, Kushida-san and I are just waiting if you would let us help before we make a move."

"Listen Horikita-san, you have a brother too, correct?"

"Yes, that's why I'm willing to help. I don't want another pair of siblings to end up like us."

Eh? End up like them, hm? Onii-sama isn't one to abandon us, he just wants some alone time. But still, I can't help but start laughing.

"Why laugh? That is very unlike you. Actually, I've never heard you laugh before."

"Ahahahaha! Back at you Horikita-san. Back to what you said, niisan isn't the sort of person to just abandon me. We've been side by side ever since I was born, and you think something like this would split us apart?"

I walked up to her, with a finger pressing on her mouth.

"The answer, is no. Believe it or not Horikita-san, you and I are very alike." I said, removing my finger from her lips.

"What does that mean?"

"You have a thing for Horikita-senpai, yes? Like you, I have a thing for my own niisan. What was the word? Brocon, was it not?"

Horikita-san flinched and became somewhat flustered. I'm betting she would never have heard something like that from a person like Shizuko-chan.

"What are you even on about?" She asked, looking away.

"Nothing, just a wandering thought. Anyway I can handle him by myself, but I do have something I want to ask you."

"And what's that?"

"How have things been going on your side of the exam? I heard that the Dragon Group had most of the class leaders and reps in it."

"Yeah, and that's exactly the problem. Yesterday after the last meeting, Ryuuen-kun said he figured out the pattern."

"Eh? Did he really?"

"But that begs the question. Yesterday morning, Ryuuen-kun made us listen to a recording of him and your brother. Apparently your brother also figured out the pattern, he just doesn't want to talk about it."

Of course, why would he?

"Sigh...That's niisan for you."

"Did you manage to figure out the pattern too?"