Volume 5: Therefore, I Am Me

About dragging it out for two more chapters, it'll end here instead. I didn't realize the recommended event phase would be so short. 

Yuko POV

"Fear is the illusion that keeps us from understanding reality. If you fear reality itself, you never stood a chance in the first place. Which is why you must face it, even if you die in the process. Those who do not fear reality and mortality, have the least regrets. Besides, I've accepted that my own death will come long ago."

That was something that onii-sama once said. Something that is both inspirational and somewhat idiotic.

I understand why he was doing this, but still, why? For the class? To tie up the supposed loose ends? Why did he have to be so reckless about it!? He's an idiot I tell you!

At any rate, the first event I was supposed to participate in was the scavenger hunt. We were to draw paper from a box and give the referee the item that was written on that paper, so it would be a luck based game. Ayanokouji-kun would also participate in this event, as well as four other people from our class, and the same goes for every other class, six people each. six rounds in total. 

"Some items in the scavenger hunt are quite difficult to procure. To pick a new item, you can request a redraw, but there will be a thirty-second waiting period. You must make your redraw request to the referee when you draw your lot during the competition. The game ends when three players reach the goal. That's all." A referee said through a megaphone.

That sounded easy enough. But again, this is all luck base. 

"Begin!" The referee said, then he blew the whistle. 

The first batch of runners went to get their draws

"Whoooooooa!" Ike-kun struck a victory pose and took off running back toward the starting point.

He was asking something of Ayanokouji-kun. I assume he said no, because now he went towards the tent.

After asking around, he ran back to the referee...with a shoe? 

After giving the item, Ike-kun managed to get first place. Moments later, Class A got second, Class B got third, then Class C wound up in last. The signal came up once again to start the second race.

Ayanokouji-kun rushed to draw out his item, then he hesitated. He took a redraw, then hesitated again. Something was wrong. 

In the end, Ayanokouji-kun got last place. 

Right now, it was my turn.

There is a way out of this mess, I just have to plan everything out, piece by piece. 

The whistle blew, and I ran toward one of the staff members carrying a box, where I'll be getting the paper of what I need. I pulled out the first paper, hoping for a good one. 

A hand mirror

Who the hell would have a mirror right...now... 

I bolted toward the medical tent, hoping that Kouenji-kun was there. Upon arriving, his blonde hair stuck out like a sore thumb. 

"Kouenji-kun!" I called out. 

"Hm? Is there something you need, Toma-girl?"

"Do you have your mirror on you right now?" 

"My hand mirror? I never go anywhere without it." He said with a toothy grin. 

"Could I borrow it for a while? That's my item?" 

"Oh? Your item is 'Kouenji Rokusuke's hand mirror'? That is oddly specific."

I admit it was a good joke, but now wasn't the time.