Volume 3: What Lies Ahead

Toma Hisoka POV

We just put down all of our stuff in a little clearing. Hirata had suggested that we'd make scouting groups and see if they could find spots or not.

See the thing is that we were only allowed to make a base near a claimed spot, which the leader had to swipe the keycard over. If there is no spot, you'd have to camp out at the starting beach.

Since we didn't find a spot yet, we were just sitting here planning our next move. I raised my hand, indicating I wanted to scout around, Shizuko followed suit.

"Right then, looks like there's twelve of you. You should all split up in groups of two, we'll hold the fort around here." Hirata said.

Among the ten other people, Ayanokouji and Kouenji were two of them. Sakura was also joining in, as well as Sudou and Ike.

We had gone our separate ways, Shizuko and I going south.

"A mistake has already been made." I said aloud.

"We didn't pick a leader ASAP. Even if we find a spot, we can't claim it. Next thing you know, another class would already be there." Shizuko said.

"We can forget about the cave then, let's head somewhere else."

While on the ship, we saw a path leading towards a cave on the mountain side. To me, it was easily the best spot in the whole island, but we had to consider the fact that we didn't have a leader yet.

So instead of the cave, we walked towards the tower. The tower was barely visible from where I was on the ship, but I was still able to see it. It wouldn't be a spot to camp, but it's a great spot to see everything.

If the tower was already taken as well, we'd be in quite the rough spot. Other than the base spot, we should capture at least two other spots, preferably at strategic locations like the tower.

"I think that's it." I said, looking through the trees.

If you squint at whatever was above the trees, you could make out a slight area covered in gray. Since it was sunny as hell today, I doubt it's a rain cloud.

We walked a few more meters, arriving at the tower that we expected was here.

"It should at least have a third floor, at least looking for down here." Shizuko said.

"Only one way to find out. Stay here."

I walked into the entrance of the tower. It was quite literally hollow inside, save for a few boxes and chairs. I climbed up the ladder, arriving at the top. There was no third floor, but at least the top was accessable. The area looked to have been made for surveillance. A few chairs, a table, then a perfect view of the island. There was an open plain in one area, the mountain side in another, then the forest we came through.

It was a really good view. All I needed now was some sort of spyglass or binoculars, which might be on the list of things we can buy. I'll have to check with Hirata later. Anyway, since I've gotten my bearings, it was time for me to climb back down.

"What's the big idea? We saw this place first!"

While climbing down the ladder, I heard a commotion outside. Outside meant Shizuko.

"We arrived here first, and niisan hasn't finished his business yet." Speak of the devil.

"Well we saw it back at the ship!" Someone argued with her.

"We also saw this tower from the ship."

"Ain't no way a Class D defect would be able to see from there."