Seventy-five

"I just want to apologize again for—"

"Let me stop you there" Kai interjects, the tall man holding out his hand to indicate he wants me to stop talking.

"I already told you that I didn't mind. I said it was ok to do what you needed to, so you don't need to apologize."

I nod reluctantly, biting my lower lip as he smiles down at me. I still feel bad for ending the bonfire early by causing a scene, although, if given the chance to go back in time, I'd probably hit her a little bit harder.

"I still feel bad for the others. They weren't a part of it, but the night ended for them as well."

"Dude" Jackson scoffs as he joins our group, throwing an arm onto Kai's shoulder with a bit of a struggle. "I've had, like, six people come up to me this morning to gush about Jimin's badass girlfriend."

I open my mouth to correct him but no words come out. I can feel it as a coy smile spreads across my face, it taking every ounce of my will to prevent myself from blushing right then and there. I felt way too happy being referred to as 'Jimin's girlfriend'. Having feelings for someone is turning out to be a fucking bitch.

"Noona, I'm ready to go now."

I turn to find Jimin standing behind me, his eyes on his feet as he plays with the long sleeves of his shirt. We had loaded everything we brought with us back in to the car before going around to say goodbye to everyone before they left. Yeji left early in the morning, probably scared I'd take one look at her face and want to go another round. It was my farewell with Lisa took up most of my time, her insisting we were going to become 'besties for life', as she put it.

I nod to indicate that I heard him, turning back to the two men in front of me as Jimin makes his way over to where I parked.

"Thanks for inviting Jimin" I say seriously, my eyes straying over to his walking form as I do so. "As you know, he's not the most confident person. I'm glad he has friends like you to look out for him."

Jackson shakes his head emphatically, his lips parting to reveal a charming smile. "He's a great guy. Our class wouldn't be the same without him in it."

"And thank you for coming with him" Kai adds, shooting me a pointed look when I open my mouth in order to apologize once again. "Bonfire included, you made this trip a lot of fun, and I'm glad I got to meet you. We will have to get the group together again for a night out or something."

"Deal" I chuckle, waving at the two before following Jimin's path to my car.

I really am glad that I came on this trip. Yeah, not all of it was good, but it helped me realize some things that I had been unaware of before.

I like Jimin, and I think I always have, I just hadn't wanted to come to terms with it. Ever since I woke up from the coma I was in, I was drawn to him. He just exudes positivity and light, it as if a weight has been lifted from my chest whenever I am with him.

I hadn't wanted to accept the fact that I was falling for him when I had no recollection of being in any sort of relationship with the guy. I like to think that I'm a tough person, but what Seokjung did to me really fucked with my mind. I was scared to like someone else; afraid that I'd get hurt again.

There is no way I can pretend not to feel anything for him after everything that happened this weekend. 

••••••••••••••

The music that is currently playing isn't making things any less tense than they already are. My fingers tighten around the smooth leather of my steering wheel as I steal glances at Jimin as he sits beside me, my teeth worrying my bottom lip. I have always believed that conversation is key in relationships, but I don't know how to bring everything that happened up. I hate talking about my feelings, my parents training me from a young age that all you get from that is pain and degradation. Since moving out from under their thumb I've been trying to overcome some of the mental handicaps I acquired from being raised by them, but it's still difficult.

I also don't want to upset him. I can tell he has picked up on my mood from the way he is fidgeting with his fingers, the space between his eyebrows creased in thought. I breathe out heavily and his head snaps in my direction, my eyes staying on the road in front of me as I woman up and just come out with it.

"I've been thinking a lot about what happened this weekend." I see him flinch from the corner of my eye, another deep breath leaving me as I steal myself. "At first I couldn't understand why you didn't just tell me about what was bothering you, but then I recalled something you must have said before the accident and it made more sense."

My already-clenched fingers tighten even more, my knuckles no doubt ghostly white from the exertion. The flashback I had the previous night is still fresh in my mind, his distraught face appearing in my mind's eye now as I pull up a faint memory of the two of us sitting in my car.

"You're a good actor, I'll give you that much. You actually made me think that you could change, but I guess Tae was right about you."

"I...I-I know I'm a slut, but I—"

"You're not a slut, noona."

His voice is soft, it snapping me out of the downward spiral I had begun to slip into, yet not quite enough to stop it completely. His past words continue to echo around in my head as I try and get myself under control, but it's proving to be harder than I originally thought it was. I know I'm not the purest of people, and up until now I didn't give a fuck about how others perceived me. It's Jimin's opinion I care about, that small recollection from my memory causing my heart to clench traitorously in my chest as I pull the car to a stop at the signal.

I clear my throat, "as I was saying, I know I'm—"

"You're. Not. A. Slut."

My eyes widen, the tone of his voice causing my head to whip in his direction. His face is swathed in the red light coming from the signal, but it's impossible not to miss the anger in his eyes. I am unsure as to whether that anger is for me or for himself, but the serious look on his face makes it clear to me that I won't get anywhere if I continue the way I have been.

"Fine" I say on a tired sigh, turning back to face the road when I can no longer look at him. "Despite my many shortcomings, I care about you, Jimin. Not only did you not telling me about Damien hurt my feelings when you wouldn't so much as hold my hand, it also made me feel as if you didn't trust me. It made me feel as if you couldn't lean on me for support when you needed it, and that really hurt."

"If you can't rely on me for help at this point, then who can I expect to have my back if I ever need it?"

"I—" I pause, my throat working overtime in order to swallow the lump that has formed there. Jimin's eyes, full of regret, watch me as I struggle to get my words out, his hands fisted tightly in his lap.

"I know it's presumptuous of me to assume that this thing we have is even serious enough for me to feel this way, but there are things, upsetting things, that have happened to me that I want to tell you about. I've never told anyone besides my parents about it, but I know that, if I am to come clean about this, I want it to be with you. If you can't trust me with your problems, how am I supposed to be able to trust you with mine?"

The car is filled with silence as I turn to face him again, it as if my words are still hovering in the air after I've said them. Jimin's profile, which had previously been bathed in red, suddenly switches to a vibrant green. I inhale sharply at the tears I see in his eyes, quickly facing forward once more as I lift my foot off the break pedal.

"It's ok, hun" I say with a smile, wanting nothing more than to change the current mood. I reach over and put my hand on his cheek, keeping my eyes firmly on the road as I gently caress his skin with my thumb. "I'm not upset that you aren't ready to trust me. You can't force something like that. If you aren't ready, it just means I'll have work harder to make sure I can be there for you when you are."