Thirty-eight

The room is quiet, the sound of cars driving out on the street muffled by the closed windows. My fingers type away on the keyboard of my laptop in front of me as I try and finish up the essay I should have been done with last week, my eyes scanning the ending sentence before I scroll all the way up to the top once more. Jimin's pencil makes soft scratching sounds on the pad of paper he is writing on as he lounges on my bed while he finishes up his math assignment, the atmosphere rather calming.

I sigh and stretch my arms over my head as I start proof-reading everything that I just wrote, making sure that there aren't any typos or grammatical errors. I'm majoring in literature, so anything less than perfect is unacceptable. Who am I kidding? I could re-read the same paper fifty times and it would still end up being filled with mistakes that I couldn't find.

"Noona?" Jimin calls from behind me, my eyes still glued to my computer screen as I hum to indicate that I heard him. "Can we go out tonight?"

"And do what?" I question, clicking my tongue in annoyance when I discover a sentence that still has a contraction in it.

I go back to reading what I just spent the better part of two hours completing, suddenly glad that I have until tomorrow to turn this thing in. Jimin's parents' party is tomorrow night, and I promised Jimin I would spend that day with him as well, so I'm trying to finish as much as I can now so that all I have to do is click submit either tonight or in the morning. I get around half-way done proof-reading when my sight is blocked, my eyes blinking rapidly as I look around in surprise.

"Jimin" I groan in frustration, dragging out his name. I can't really stay mad at him for interrupting me though, a smile tugging on the corners of my lips as he pulls my chair out before sitting down sideways on top of my lap.

He pouts, "you weren't listening to a word I was saying!"

"Ok, ok, I'm sorry." I save my work and close my laptop, shifting his body slightly so that he is in a more comfortable position. I don't think I've ever had anyone sit on my lap before, but Jimin isn't heavy so it's not like I can complain about it or anything. "What did you want to do, hun?"

He turns towards me and grins when he sees that he finally has my undivided attention, his legs swinging as he puts his arms around my neck. "There's this new restaurant that opened in town and I really wanted to check it out! It's somewhat fancy, so I thought we could dress up, go eat, and then come back here for a movie night afterwards."

My eyebrows raise as I take in what he just said, undeniably intrigued. I had also heard about the new restaurant opening up thanks to Samuel talking about it non-stop. He said it was really expensive and the type of place that people like my parents would go to, but I know for a fact that they wouldn't. The new place is rather fancy for the town that it's in, but my parents will only go to a restaurant that requires you to get a reservation days, if not weeks, in advance. At least I know that I'll enjoy myself though. Places that my parents force me to go to always end up being too stuffy for my taste. I think this could be fun.

"Alright, baby, get off so I can take a shower and get ready. It should only take about an hour."

"Yes!" he shouts before jumping off of me and skipping over to the door of the guest bedroom. He has just opened the door when I think of something, yelling a fast "wait!" to try and get his attention once more.

"What are you gunna wear? Are you going back to your place?"

He nods, "I texted Tae earlier, and he agreed to give me a ride. I'll get ready over there, and come back afterwards."

................................

"Thank you" I say as I smile politely at the nice woman who took us to our table, scooting my chair in a little more as she leaves.

This restaurant is really nice, but that's to be expected at a fancy place like this. The line was so long that I almost didn't want to wait, but one look at Jimin's face had me sucking up my impatience. He must have been wanting to go here for a long time, his smile wide as he bounces slightly in his seat across from me. I watch him for a little while longer as he looks at their menu before deciding to pick it up myself, my eyes scanning through their drink and food options.

"What looks good to you?" I question as I take in all of the options, not quite sure if I want to try some of their Korean food or some of the international food options they have on here. Jimin hums before lowering his menu so that I can see his face, his eyes still scanning it as he answers.

"I think I'm going to try the Japanese Wagyu beef. Isn't that supposed to be, like, one of the best steaks?"

I shrug, "that, my friend, is an opinion, so I have no comment."

He jokingly rolls his eyes and I laugh as I go back to choosing my own meal, deciding on a creamy pasta dish that's topped with lobster. I have always been a fan of seafood, this dish looking like the best option since they unfortunately don't serve sushi here. We both order when the woman from before comes back, him ordering a glass of Coke while I decide to stick with water.

The time we spend waiting for our food is filled with laughter and riveting conversation, him telling me all about the trouble he used to get in to when he was younger. Apparently, him and Taehyung would get into all sorts of mischief when they would hang out, Jimin's mom even going so far as to add extra members to her security team to try and stop him from sneaking out at night. The conversation moves onto what my friends and I used to get up to when we were younger when our food gets here, me happy to entertain him with the many tales I have of my own.

"By the way" he pipes up when there is a lull in our conversation, his left cheek bulging with the huge mouthful he has yet to fully chew and swallow. "Since it was my idea to come here, I'm paying for everything."

"Ha ha, you're fucking hilarious--no."

His eyes narrow, "yes."

"Jimin, no."

"Why not?"

Shit. I didn't think that one through.

"B-Because.......because I said so."

"Who are you, my mother?"

"Ew! What the fuck? No!"

"Then I get to pay this time around!"

"What if I wanted to pay?"

"Well, that's too fucking bad."

"Tch, fine, whatever" I grumble when I realize that he is not going to back down from this. I like paying for things when he is involved, but I get that he wants to do nice things for me too. I'm not sure why I was so adamant on paying for this, but it probably has to do with the fact that I simply enjoy spoiling him.

"Thank you, noona" he quietly states after we have eaten a little bit more.

"For what exactly?" I inquire, bemused. He glances up from his almost-empty plate before looking back down again, his cheeks tinting with pink as he does so.

"For going out with me and letting me pay. I've never had someone to do these sort of things with, so I wanted to say thank you for putting up with it for me."

"What are you talking about?" My eyes are wide as I stare at him and place my silverware down on my plate. "I'm happy that you wanted to do something like this with me, hun."

"I don't want you to think that I'm putting up with this just for your sake" I continue. I wait for him to look at me again before speaking more, wanting him to fully understand where I am coming from. "I love spending time with you, and I'm really enjoying myself right now, so thank you for wanting to do this with me."

I can't help but frown at the relieved smile that appears on his face, it clear that he was worried that I really was just putting up with this for his sake. His lack of confidence in himself has me a little unsettled, but it's nothing that I can't remedy with time. I'll just have to try harder to make sure he understands that he is an amazing person, and I couldn't be happier that I get to spend time with someone like him.