19. Past Crimes (III)

Arohi was sitting in the doctors' room. It was common room allotted to most doctors while the senior doctors had their own cabins. She was under another doctor and learning. She was studying a case when the file was taken away from her. She looked up and saw Mahima. Arohi hated this woman with crazy passion. Maybe it was her holier-than-thou attitude or maybe because Arohi saw herself a bit in her, at least her old self.

Mahima: Dr. Arohi, ye case mamuli sa hai. I have referred it to an intern. He will handle it under my guidance. You have to assist Dr. Sinha with a different case.

Arohi: But Dr. Mahima, I have already started with this case..

Mahima: So you want to handle this easy case and not handle the complicated one. Oh well! good for you...mujhe laga shyd MD ki degree se tumme thodi competence aa gayi hogi...Maybe I'll refer..

Arohi: I will do it!

Her taunts worked like magic on Arohi's ego and had the desired effect. Arohi passed the file to the intern who left after that.

Mahima: I will send someone to brief you about it, or maybe you should meet Dr. Sinha yourself.

Mahima too left.

Arohi: (mutters) Moti!...pehle mai bhi toh aise hi mu fulla kr ghoomti thi....mai aisi dikhti thi kya? Thank god! mai junior mahima banne se bach gayi...

Arohi left, pumped up because of Mahima's insult. She saw Abhimanyu standing in a corner. Every time she was near him, she felt awkward. He had forgiven her because he was smitten by her sister but she still struggled to see him in the eye. She would have ruined all their lives if she succeed in her plots to marry him. As she passed by, she noticed he was lost. He was staring at a hall. Arohi peeped over his shoulders and saw Akshara was playing her guitar and standing in the middle. Many patients sat around her and sang with her as she sang something. The soundproof room did not let them hear it but Abhimanyu was still lost in his precious wife's smile.

Arohi: Iski vibe hi alag hoti hai Akshu ke ass pass...kya Neil bhi aisa feel krta hai? Kya mai vo feel krti hoon?

Shaking all these thoughts away, Arohi proceeded to find Dr. Sinha. She found him standing next to another doctor.

Arohi: Dr. Sinha...

Sinha: Dr. Arohi. Mai apko hi bulwane wala tha. Accha hua aap khud aa gaye...let's go to my cabin, I will brief you both together.

They entered his cabin.

Sinha: We had a patient around five years ago. She healed completely from cancer but seems like those cells have made a comeback. She lost all her medical records in a house fire two years ago though. Luckily we maintain duplicate records even of patients who are no longer taking treatment for ten years, so we will find her file in the store. Dr. Arohi please go with a nurse. Baki briefing mai records dikha kr kr dunga...

...........................

Arohi came out of the store feeling dirty. Though the store was spotless at well, the files in shelves had gathered a lot of dust.

Arohi: Mai clean krke aati hoon, aap ye files mere desk pr rakh do..

The nurse nodded and kept all the lose papers and files at Arohi's desk. As she left, another person entered the room. It was Mahima. She looked around before quickly slipping a single sheet of paper in the files kept at Arohi's desk and left.

.............................

'And that is it for today...' said a cheerful Akshara. All her patients thanked her and left. She was such a positive person that anyone around could never go untouched by her infectious happiness. As the last person left the room, she turned and began keeping the equipments in their cases properly.