one

Zoe's POV

Saturday.

With the knife in my hands, I couldn’t help but hesitate. It was harder than I thought. For some reason, I was scared that I was going to miss it. I looked at myself in the mirror, my hands shaking lightly. I lift the knife, staring into my own eyes, as if the brown shades of trees would give me answers. But it was no use.

So I caved.

I grabbed my ponytail behind my head, and sliced the knife right through the hair right above the elastic. Then I froze, my eyes widening.

“Aria!” I yelled, and within seconds, the door flew open.

“Did you do it?!”

I looked at her in the mirror, seeing her notice the dark blonde ponytail of thirty-centimetre hair in my hand, and the knife in the other.

“Where is Dorcas?”

“Hogsmeade with Joe. Why?”

Suddenly someone burst into our dorm, making us both look out of the bathroom at Astoria and Pansy. They looked alert.

“We heard yelling.” Then Astoria’s eyes widened. “Zoe? Your hair!”

I nodded in panic. “I know, I know. Can someone even hair?”

Pansy lift her hand as if we were in a classroom. “I can. With scissors. You cut that with a knife?”

I nodded.

“That’s one sharp fucking knife, Zoe. What did you do?”

“Can you even hair or not?”

She groaned, gesturing for me to make my way to her and to sit on the bed. “I can. Scissors?”

“We do have,” Aria said as she pulled drawers open in the bathroom, before pulling out scissors. “Best we have.”

Pansy nodded. “Good enough. Zoe, sit.”

-----

“That’s better,” Aria said as she exited the bathroom with a towel around her body. She looked at me, then Pansy. "You’re a star.”

Pansy smiled, her eyes first looking Aria up and down before looking at Astoria. “You need a trim as well?”

Astoria laughed. “I’m fine. These curls are not getting wet.”

I smiled, standing up from the bed, while dusting all the hair lose, causing it to collapse to the ground. Aria’s face lit with disbelief as she looked at me.
“Seriously? I just cleaned the floors.”

I looked at her apologetically, before she turned around, opening our closet, before picking through it.

“Where you guys heading off to?” Pansy asked as she dusted off her shirt.

“Hogsmeade. Promised Dorcas we’d try and save her; or just join them automatically and see how that goes.”

Astoria smiled. “See, Pansy. That’s what friends do.”

“Okay,” Pansy said, rolling her eyes.
"We’ll be off. Good luck with that, Zoe. I know Dorcas will enjoy it either way. We have to join Draco and the others.”

I smiled, watching them make their way to the door. “Thank you, Pansy.”

She smiled, nodding, before stopping before she turned the doorknob. “We’ll be keeping this quiet, right? Draco and the others won’t find out?”

I shook my head. “My lips are sealed.”

She smiled thankfully. “Thank you. Bye guys.” She and Astoria slipped out of our room, before closing the door behind them.

Sighing, Aria lift clothes out of the closet, seeing how she was looking in the mirror. “I still don’t understand how we’re not allowed to be ‘friends’. Will Draco kill them or something?”

“Well,” I said, stepping beside her. “A half-blood and a muggle-born is probably not the images they have in mind for friends. You know; purebloods all the way.”

She laughed at my mockery, before slipping back into the bathroom with a pair of jeans and a shirt. “They’re like cult.”

“A religion, Aria. Death Eaters are a fucking cult. They believe that if you are not a pureblood, you’re doomed.”

She scoffed. “Oh please. Only one who is doomed is them. Like just because my great-grandmother was a muggle, now I’m doomed for all eternity? Oh please. Not my fault this so-called Merlin didn’t grant my great-grandfather with a witch. What does it matter, anyways?”

I smiled, pulling my shirt off, followed by my shorts. I pulled on a dark blue dress, before followed by torn stockings and then some convers.

Just when Aria exited, I pinned the few curls that fell into my face back with a pin.

“You’ll get used to that,” she said, making me smile, nodding.

“Soon, I hope.”

[724 words]