thirty

*two weeks later*

Friday.

"It's been what? Three weeks? You've taken her on multiple semi-dates. Railed her a couple more times. Walked her to almost every class. Gosh, Mattheo. One'd think you've forgotten about your oath to your dad. None the less Tom-"

"I get it!" I yelled, slamming my fiat against the table. "Thomas has his own fucking doings here. My oath to him has long ago broken, and you know it. For my father; you know nothing."

Arcturus sighed as she chuckled softly. "You're causing trouble, Little Riddle. Be fucking careful. One wrong step, and Tom'll deliver your head to your father."

I laughed. "Luckily not, Black. His oath states my survival through school. After that, I'm practically already dead."

"Can you two like, chill?"

I glared at Draco.

"I mean sure, I'm glad to hear that you're actually here on family business, but when do I get to meet this Tom?"

I scoffed. "You don't," I bit. "Look. We just need a way to slip into the record room. That's all."

"Why?" Draco asked.

I groaned. "Because I need the fucking files, dipshit. Fucking hell you're slow."

He rolled his eyes, before biting into an apple.

"There's a hatch under row twenty-four that leads to the girl's dormitory hallways."

Both Arcturus and I turned around as Draco peeked over the table. Pansy stood in the open doorway.

"It'll take you six minutes tops to get there if you crawl. But it's dusty and dark, so maybe ten at the most."

"And you are?"

"This is Pansy," I said, before turning back to the paper filled a row of names. "We need seven files. Seven people. As far as I'm aware; they're in their fortys or fifties."

"That'd be rows fifty nine and sixty."

I frowned, looking at her. She sighed.

"Why do you think your father sent you, Mattheo? I mean why send in his own kid if there are other kids already here?"

Draco grinned. "Because the two kids he did ask, failed."

"The files aren't here," she said, making me frown. "They are names of people who were in some army with Dumbledore. All to kill your father. He wants all their kids. The files are long gone. Dumbledore's doing if you ask me. Traceless."

Arcturus grinned. "We don't need the files," he said, turning to me. "We've already have someone's girlfriend."

"What?" I bit, turning to him. "No. Fuck no."

"She knows the trio. Has her own club. Come on, Mattheo."

I looked at Draco. "No. She's not a fucking option. I'm not using her-"

"Oh for fuck sakes you are."

I looked at the door, seeing Pansy stand aside as Tom leaned against it.

"Thomas; fuck off-"

"So you're the famous Tom Riddle Junior?" Draco laughed. "Spitting image of your father. I have to say I'm intrigued."

Only Pansy didn't look as in intrigued. She looked nearly mortified.

"Your little whore, is the answer to your problem, Matty-"

"Don't call her a whore. And do not call me Matty."

He laughed. "Are you kidding me? You're protecting some girl; hoping she'd bring you, what? Happiness? How stupid are you?"

I sighed in frustration."Got it. Can you go now?"

He grinned. "Use her. I don't care about your love life. Dad wants those names, and you're going to get them, so that I can do my job."

He turned around, winked at Pansy, before leaving my dorm. I was glad he decided to bench in with Arcturus. He was torture.

"Mattheo... You don't actually plan on doing it, do you?"

Pansy sounded fairly concerned. More than expected from her.

"Mattheo," she sighed as I stayed quiet. "It's Zoe, come on-"

"What do you care?" Draco spit. "It's mudblood Zoe. Fucking hell she's a pain. What is she your friend now-"

"Actually," Pansy yelled. "She's always been my friend. You're just too fucking naive to realize that I actually have a social life. Now if you don't mind- I'm gonna go."

"Pansy wait," I said as I walked after her. "Pansy-"

"She's your girlfriend," she snapped as I stopped in the doorframe. "You're stupid-"

"I have no choice!" I bit, making her scoff.

"So what? Keep lying to her and hope that she stays so in love with you? Oh fuck off."

She stormed off, leaving me in the doorway. I turned to Arcturus who just shrugged as he walked passed me, patting my shoulder.

"Don't be a dumbass."

-----

"Zoe..."

"Mhm," she said as she looked up from her book.

I sighed. "I- I haven't been completely honest with you..."

She lowered her book as she listened to me.

"My brother is at Hogwarts."

Her face turned semi-horrified. "What?"

"He's roommates with Arcturus Black. I heard you know him..."

She nodded, frowning. "I met him a couple of weeks ago. Probably like a little over a month ago. Nice guy."

"Not really," I said, making her fill with confusion. "He's a family friend. Grew up with me and my brother. A real douche actually."

She nodded, yet stayed silent. What the fuck are you doing, Mattheo?!

"I don't-" I laughed. "I don't even know what I'm saying. Sorry. Drop it."

She nodded slowly as she looked down at her book.

After a couple of minutes of silence, she lowered her book again, a small smile on her lips.

"To think about it," she said, making me look up from the knive and small wooden log in my hands. "You never told me your last name."

Oh I am fully aware, love.

"It's funny. You don't even write it on your tests or on your books. Every Professor addresses you as Mattheo. Does anyone actually know your last name?"

I smiled. "No," I lied. "That's a secret for the times."

[968 words]