forty-eight

⚠️ tw: violence

Zoe's POV

*five weeks later*

Thursday.

"I'm sure this term will treat us good," I said as I folded up a blanket.

Mattheo, who looked at me from his bed, nodded. "Maybe even easier."

I smiled, laughing lightly. "No. Definitely not."

After placing the blanket down on the foot of Kieran's bed, I walked over to mine, sitting on the side while Mattheo took my hand in his; but he frowned.

"Where's my ring?"

I frowned, looking down at my hand that was indeed missing his ring.

"Zoe, where's my fucking ring?"

"I must've forgotten to put it on-"

"Did you fucking lose my ring?!"

"No!" I said, looking at him in panic as his voice rose. "I must've forgotten it in the bathroom, that's all. I'll go check."

I stood up, and a part of me sort of cracked. He's once used that tone before, and that was a couple of days after he stood up towards his brother. I had knocked a cup of cold coffee over him, and he got upset. Nothing like when I messed alcohol on him at a party.

When entering the bathroom a huge part of me was relieved to see the ring beside the sink tap. I slipped it onto my hand, before walking back out of the bathroom, showing him my hand. This time he sat with his legs off the bed.

"I told. It was just in the bathroom."

He smiled as I stepped in between his legs and he wrapped his arms around them.

"How about you and I go stargazing tomorrow night?" he suggested.

I pouted lightly as I played with the curls on his head. "I'd love to, but I can't."

"Why?" he frowned as he leaned back a bit, making me look at him.

I dropped my hands to his shoulders. "It's the first night of the term. Pansy, Astoria, Draco, Theo and I are going to have a sleepover in-"

"A sleepover?" he frowned, making me frown lightly.

"Well, yeah? We planned it a while ago and-"

"You're not falling asleep in a room with Theodore fucking Nott. No fucking way."

I looked at him in confusion. "There'll be other people there, Mattheo. We won't be alone-"

He pushed my hands off of his shoulders, before standing up, walking passed me; saying: "I don't fucking care!"

I looked at him in slight disbelief. "Mattheo, I'm aware that you don't like Theo, but he's my friend. I still-"

"It doesn't bother me that you're friends!" he interrupted, his voice a lot louder. "I fucking care that he wants to get inside your pants, Zoe."

"Mattheo, he won't. Once he knows we're together, he'll-"

"Force himself upon you to change your mind!" he yelled.

I stepped closer to him, just wanting to calm him down. "Right, Mattheo. Please lower your-"

"Oh fucking hell, Zoe," he bit, stepping a few steps away. "I don't want you in that dorm tomorrow. Got it?!"

"Mattheo, I can't cancel. The plans were made-"

Suddenly his hand flew beside him, brabbing a lamp with a cut open bulb inside it, beside him, before it went flying barely millimeters away from me, shattering on the wall behind me. I froze.

Mattheo's hand lift to his chin, rubbing the side of his face as he looked away.

"I don't want you at that sleepover, Zoe. I don't know what'll happen."

Slowly I lift my hand to my cheek, swiping over it, before seeing about three droplets of blood on my finger. Then I looked back at Mattheo, who didn't notice it, because he was looking at the ceiling.

Yet the moment his eyes moved back to me, they widened as he saw me frozen, looking down at the blood on my finger, while feeling other droplets slowly fall down my cheek.

Panic hit him, and within seconds he stood in front of me with his hands moving my head aside so that he could examine the cut.

"Fuck, Zoe. I am so, so sorry."

I couldn't speak. No word left my mouth. Nothing could. I stood silent.

"Here," he said, pulling his great shirt up, before swiping away the blood. "Fuck , Zoe. I'm sorry."

"I-" I pushed my hand up, finally being able to move. I pushed his hand away, taking a step back. "I'll clean it in the- uh- bathroom. I'll be- uhm- quick."

I didn't even look at him, but made my way to the bathroom, where I examined the cut in the mirror. I cleaned it with alcohol, before placing a plaster over it. All while still stunned.

When I exited the bathroom, Mattheo flew to his feet, and I finally met his genuine worried eyes.

"Are you okay?"

I frowned, nodding. "Yeah. It's shallow. I'll be fine."

He took me by the cheeks, gently, looking into my eyes. "Zoe, I'm so fucking sorry. I don't know what happened."

Even though I was scared, I smiled lightly. "It's alright, Mattheo," I said, placing my hands on his arms. "I'm fine."

Actually not. I'm startled and fairly scared to death at the moment. But of course I won't admit it.

"I'm sorry," he repeated, pulling me into a hug.

And suddenly the care vanished. I wrapped my arms around his torso, and hugged back.

Merlin, was he bipolar?

[889 words]