twenty-six

Thursday.

I took a deep breath, and Mattheo must've noticed, because he wrapped his arm over my shoulders.

I smiled, looking up at him. "Sorry. They're just quite judgy. I'm just-"

"I'm sure it'll be fine," he reassured. "Come on, it'll be fine."

I gave a nod, and we finally reached the classroom with the door semi-opened. Before we entered, Mattheo removed his arm from my shoulders, but placed it on my back.

Everyone looked at us.

"Late," Joe commented.

I rolled my eyes. "Guys, this is Mattheo, for the few who don't know. He wants to join our club."

When I looked around the room, some weren't happy, some were careless, and one sat with wide eyes. Astoria. She then shifted uncomfortably, but didn't say a word.

I sat down on one of the tables, and Mattheo seated himself right beside my legs on the floor.

I looked at Dorcas. "Did you find it?"

She pulled a thick book from her bag, before dropping it into her lap.

"A lot thicker than I thought," Peter smiled. "A lot of spells, I see?"

Dorcas nodded, before taking out a note book. "I made a list of useful spells that they haven't taught us; and it seemes like they won't here at Hogwarts."

Mary leaned closer beside her. "Cool."

I smiled, seeing her clearly searching for a spell. Meanwhile I looked up from where she and Mary sat on the floor, only to meet Astoria's wondering eyes.

She looked worried, yet confused.

"Here!"

My head jolted to look at Dorcas.

"It's a defensive spell," she said as she stood up. "I've already learnt it. It's easy."

-----

"He's learning fast."

I nodded as Astoria and I looked at Peter. Beside him was Dorcas and Aria, trying their best to teach him the spells.

"Better than we were in third year," I smiled.

She nodded, looking at me again. "Look, I uhm- I just want to know... Mattheo?"

I looked at her.

"Is he like- are you two dating?"

My eyes glanced at Mattheo across the room, somewhat observing the two boys who had their wands pointed at one another. Then I looked back at Astoria.

"Not quite. I mean no. We're- we're not dating."

"But you might?"

I smiled, nodding. "Probably. I really like him. I do. And as far as I'm aware, he likes me to."

Astoria looked at Mattheo, then me. "He's not really as good as you think, Zoe."

My face shaped from a smile to a frown. "I'm sorry?"

She sighed. "I mean he has been in so many fights and he argues with everyone he disagrees with. And that's a lot of people, Zoe."

I shrugged. "He has quite a temper, I'm aware. But he's actually sweet. I understand everyone wants me to be careful, but I don't see why I even should be."

"Zoe-"

"Are you kidding me?!"

We both looked up to see Joe and Mattheo standing dangerously face-to-face.