fifty

⚠️ tw: violence

Mattheo’s POV

Saturday.

In reality it's actually a mystery to how people react sometimes. They could react surprised instead of relieved. They could get mad instead of being careless. It's never as if it's been written in some book by a teenager with a mind filled with fantasy.

Reality sucks, and it doesn't always go as someone planned it.

I expected her to fill with joy and smile, but instead she froze, and all as if I wouldn't realize as I left her in her dorm.

"I love you, Zoe. I have to go."

And I left.

She didn't move. She didn't say it back. She didn't when look at me as I left the room. She froze.

A part of me froze with her. It had me wonder what she was thinking. Didn't she expect it? Didn't she care? Didn't she love me back? Didn't she know what to say, or how to react?

It rushed through my mind the more I walked down the corridors. Did I say it too quickly? Did she not want me to say it? Did I speak to quickly? Did she think I lied?

"Matty!"

My eyes shot up, meeting these of Arcturus. I sighed.

"What?"

"Did you listen?"

"No."

He groaned. "Matty, leave Hogwarts. Thomas is ganna come back, and this time he won't have mercy. Your dad broke him. Leave."

Leave. You're too weak. You can't stop him. It's all I hear at the moment.

"Matty-"

"I'm not leaving," I snapped. "Thomas can come, and he can try. It'll be rhe death of him, Arc. He's not ganna get my head. He's ganna die trying."

I walked passed Arcturus, back towards the exit of the room, but the door pushed open, and to my luck, Thomas entered. His wand was already pointing at me, and a dangerous grin on his lips.

I plucked my wand out, pointing it at my brother.

"Should've taken me on that offer."

"I don't kneel," I said, before glancing at a guilty Arcturus. "Even a Black knows that."

"You really are stupid, Matty. Really, fucking stupid."

"I am?" I laughed. "Says the one following someone else's orders. He's a killer-"

"And so are we!" Thomas laughed. "My kill count: 58. Your kill count: 41. Were not innocent, Mattheo!"

"We can try to be," I defended. "We're capable-"

"No," he laughed. "Drop your wand, brother. Don't fight your own blood."

"But you want to kill me?" I scoffed. "Rather not."

"Matty- don't. You're not a match."

"Correct," I said, giving a single nod. "I'm so much fucking better."

Suddenly he silently sent a spell through the air, but I hit it away, before pointing my wand at my brother, whispering: "Crucio."

Suddenly he shattered to the ground. Arcturus stood wide-eyed. Before I realized, I ran to him as a yell of agony slipped from his mouth.

"Fuck," I said, crashing down beside him.

Fuck fucking instincts. Fucking dad.

Arcturus ran to us. "Fuck, Mattheo. I really didn't think you'd have the guts."

"Make it stop," I said pleadingly, looking up at him. "Arc!"

"You can't," he said, before looking at me. "Kill him, Matty."

I looked at him wide-eyed. "What? No! I-"

"You or I," Arcturus bit. "Mattheo."

I looked down at my brother, before lifting my wand. "Avadacadavra," I whispered, and suddenly Thomas stopped moaning. He laid lifeless.

"Fuck," I bit, standing up. "Fuck."

"He couldn't have killed you, Mattheo."

I frowned, looking up at him. "What?"

"His oath. He would die if he broke it. Your dad didn't care."

My heart stung. He made an oath. He swore. He couldn't kill me.

"He just wanted to scare you, Mattheo."

"Fuck!" I yelled, echoing the room. "Fuck."

-----

"Merlin," Zoe said as I dropped my head against her chest. "Did Arcturus-"

"Mhm," I hummed.

She held my head in her arm, while caressing the back of my head.

"Merlin. It's bad, Mattheo. Your father will not-"

"Mhm," I hummed, giving a sigh.

I sat up, wrapping my arms around her waist, before pulling her closer to me, burning my face in between her chest.

"Oh, love," she sighed, holding me tightly. "I can't believe that happened."

I couldn't move. I didn't want to let her go.

There was this hole that was burned onto me. A sting. A crack. Some part of me died with him. Yet no other part of me understood why. It was Thomas. Just fucking Thomas. Abusive, fucking Thomas.

[751 words]