five

Thursday.

“And if you add…”

Professor Snape’s voice faded into the distance as my eyes focused onto Theodore Nott. He had black eye. Theodore never gets black eyes. He always causes them, but never received one.

“Miss Leeon?”

I looked at Professor Snape, seeing him looking at my unprovided attention.

"Sorry, sir.”

He nodded, proceeding the lesson.

-----

Dropping down beside Aria, I nudged her, before gesturing to Theodore and the others walking into the Great Hall.

“Nott, black eye.”

She looked at him, before her eyes widened. “Who the hell did that?”

“Did what?” Dorcas asked, sitting down in front of us.

“Theodore.”

She looked at him, before her eyes widened. “Oh shit. Who gave him that?”

“Who did what?”

The three of us looked at Luna Lovegood who stood behind us, frowning lightly.

“Sit,” I said, pulling her down, before pointing at Theodore. “That.”

She frowned, tilting her head lightly.

"Theodore has never had a black eye,” she observed, making us nod.

“Exactly. Someone threw a punch.”

“Oh Merlin.”

I frowned, looking at Dorcas. “Oh Merlin what?”

Then, just as if on time, Alex sat down, pushing his fingers through his hair, and I saw bruised knuckles. At the same time, he was glaring at Theodore, who was glaring at him.

“You?” I asked in a gasping whisper as I turned to Alex. “What happened?”

“Easy,” Joe said, dropping down beside him. “Theodore called him a low-sailing Black with Daddy issues.”

My eyes dragged to Theodore, seeing his eyes move to me, knowing exactly what Joe just told me. “He’s kidding me?”

“It’s a longer story than you think,” Alex sighed. “He heard about Sirius’ alcohol addiction from Potter’s uncontrollable mouth, and spread the news.”

“Could you not have hit him harder?” I asked, turning to Alex. “Given him brain damage?”

“Zoe,” Alex sighed. “Even if I tried, I’d retrieve nothing.”

I looked at their group again, but now had more than one pair of eyes looking our way. “I wonder what they retrieve from being so rude and selfish.”

Alex shrugged. “The chick with black hair has an attitude, I can you that.”

All three Aria, Dorcas and I looked at him. “Pansy?” Aria frowned.

Alex nodded. “She yelled after me, calling me a blood-traitor. Didn’t know that she had such a powerful mouth. Always so quiet.”

I looked at them, seeing her looking at us, trying not to seem obvious. “Yeah, news to us,” I said, before looking down at the table.

“… tries to be so great. Morans really. They think so high of themselves. For their blood? No way they’re so good. Even a mudblood between them. A Slytherin disapoint…”

“Fuck it,” I said, pushing myself to my feet.

“Zoe?"

I made my way to the perfect little crowns of Slytherin. “What the hell is your problem?!” I caught myself yelling as I stormed down onto them. “Just because Merlin didn’t gift us with your arrogance, we have no right to be in this house like anyone else?”

Draco scoffed, lifting to his feet as well as he turned to me. “You have no right to be in this house. You’re a bloodless freak from a stupid place. You don’t deserve to be in this school even.”

I scoffed, stepping centimetres in front of him as I looked right up at him.

“You’re an arrogant little daddy’s boy with abandonment issues. What makes us any different?”

“Maybe the fact that I am ment to be a wizard, and you’re ment to be a waitress in a stupid muggle restaurant.”

“Don’t tell me what the hell you think I deserve. You deserve an unforgivable curse to stream through your black blood!”

He glared down at me, taking a step forward, and that sent Alex and Joe to their feet. Just as they stood, Theodore and Blaise stood as well.

“Grow up, mudblood,” he said, looking down at me. “You’re worthless. You’re a fake. You’ll never be as good as us. So stop trying.”

“I don’t want to be like you,” I said, looking at the others. “A bunch of arrogant little snakes with parental issues and lack of education? I’m better of being someone who has a life, thank you.”

“You-”

“I’m what?” I said, meeting Draco’s cold eyes. “I’m looking for a parent in Snape’s presence? Oh wait, that’s you!”

Suddenly he shoved me forward, which sent fury into both Alex and Joe. I was ready to give a swing back, but then someone suddenly grabbed Draco by the collar, yanking him back. Just as they did, they faced him, before hitting him straight through the face, letting him stumble to the ground. I looked with wide eyes, seeing Draco on the ground, his nose bleeding. Then, they grabbed my hand, pulling me to follow them.

Outside the Great Hall, they gently pushed me against the wall, before meeting my eyes.

“Mattheo?” I asked with wide eyes.

“Are you okay?” he asked, his eyes shifting between mine.

I nodded. “I’m fine... I’m fine. He didn’t hurt me!”

Mattheo exhaled sharply, before nodding, removing his hands from my skin. “Good... That’s… good.”

I looked down at his hands, seeing rings decorating them. “Oh Merlin, Mattheo. You could have hurt Draco with those rings!”

He looked down at his rings before back at me. “He’ll be fine. I didn’t hit him that hard… I have to…”

I frowned. “What?”

“I have to go before teachers come,” he said, making me smile, nodding.

“Better run, Mattheo.”

He smiled back, before nodding as he walked backwards, then he turned around, jogging off.

When I entered the Great Hall again, teachers were swarming the Slytherin princes. They asked questions, and I saw Pansy shoving an ice pack against Draco’s nose. Just when I hoped I’d pass the teachers, Professor Lupin stopped me, making me look at him, sighing.

“What happened, Leeon? I know you were here.”

My eyes glanced passed him, seeing Alex, Draco and Aria shake their heads.

I shrugged. “I don’t know, Professor. It all happened so quickly…”

[1011 words]