four

Tuesday.

“That looks, delightful…”

Mattheo looked up at me, seeing me frowning as I looked down at his homework. Astronomy. He was quite far behind.

He laughed. “I’m just catching up.”

“Borrowing someone’s book?”

“No.”

I dug my hand into my bag, before pulling my script out, handing it to him. “Here. I’m all caught up.”

He smiled. “Thanks.”

Then my eyes moved to his hands as he nervously put the book down, seeing at least six rings on his fingers.

“I like your rings,” I complimented, making him look at them.

He smiled, looking at me again. “Thank you…”

I gave a nod, before looking at the others, seeing Aria and Dorcas looking between me and Mattheo. “I have to go; but good luck with that.”

He smiled, thanking me again for my book, before I walked off. I sat down beside Dorcas.

“Who is that?” she asked, looking at me. “Slytherin?”

I shrugged. “New kid. Mattheo. He’s sweet.”

Joe scoffed. “Sweet? That kid hit Alex McKinnon straight through the face with a fist an hour ago.”

“What?” I questioned; my eyes wide and my mouth dropped. “You’re kidding, right? Him?”

Joe nodded. “Saw it with my own eyes. He didn’t hold back.”

I looked at Mattheo, then his knuckles. They were barely bruised. Then, just in time, Alex entered the Great Hall, walking around the table, glaring at Mattheo. I saw a scratch right beside his right eye. He then simply just dropped down beside Joe.

“That new kid has guts,” he groaned under his breath as he crossed on the table.

I looked at him in confusion. “Hello, Alex. Do you need help finding another seat?”

“He’s in the club.”

With wide eyes I looked at Joe. “What?”

“Joe,” Dorcas sighed.

“Wait a minute,” I said, looking at her. “He’s in the club? I’m sorry,” I frowned, looking at Joe again. “What does he have to offer?”

Dorcas sighed. “His last name is McKinnon. She was in the war with my mother, and Harry’s parents. She suffered the same fate. When he heard, he was more than willing to join.”

I looked at Alex. “What about your father? Who is he?”

Alex looked from me to Dorcas, seeing her looking at him apologetically. “Sirius Black.”

“Oh my Merlin!” I gasped. “You’re a Black?”

He nodded. “I go by McKinnon. I prefer it.”

I looked at Joe. “How long have you known?”

“Two days?”

I looked at Alex. “Fine, yes. You’re in the club.”

“What club?”

We all looked at Mary as she smiled, sitting down beside me.

“Oh,” Dorcas beside me smiled. “You know. The club-club. The one I told you about this morning.”

She smiled. “Oh, yeah. Merlin I’m in.”

I turned to Dorcas, glaring. She smiled apologetically.

-----

“Zoe!”

I turned around, seeing Mattheo run to me with my book in his hand. I smiled as he stopped beside me, handing me the book.

“Thank you so, so much. That helped a lot.”

I nodded, taking my book, before slipping it into my bag. “Of course. If you ever need tutoring, I’m sure I can help.”

He smiled. “Thank you; I’d appreciate it.”

I then looked down at his hand, seeing his fingers twist a ring around between them. Then, I noticed bruises that I didn’t see earlier.

“Why did you hit Alex?” I asked, looking up at him.

He frowned. “Alex?”

“Uh, the boy, who sat with my friends and I after lunch. Tall, black hair.”

“Oh,” he said as if he remembered. “We, we had a misunderstanding.”

“You don’t even know his name?” I frowned, “How could you have argued?”

“We didn’t argue,” he corrected. “It was stupid.”

“You hit him…”

Mattheo chuckled, nodding. “I did, darling… He deserved it.”

Darling?

I simply just gave a quick nod as if I understood, but I didn’t. I really didn’t understand him.

“I have to go,” I said, gesturing to the common room. “I’ll see you around, Mattheo…”

“Sure thing,” he smiled. “Which dorm is yours? Number?”

I frowned. “Uhm… Twenty-five?”

He nodded. “Alright, thank you, Zoe Leeon.”

I frowned, nodding lightly. We parted ways, and I found myself near the girl bathrooms, just before Hermione exited, pushing her hand over her lips, while glancing at me.

She knew I knew.

I entered the empty bathroom, smiling.

"Wondered where you were," I said loudly.

"Shut up." The words came out like a giggle.

Pansy exited the bathroom stall on the far corner, pulling her hair into a ponytail.

"Tell me," I asked as I looked at her through the mirror. "What's the secret?"

She scoffed. "Please," she said as she stepped beside me, washing her hands. "What could be said about it. It's nothing."

I grinned. "Oh boy, sure thing, Pansy Parkinson."

She rolled her eyes, walking passed me.

"I'll see you later, Zoe," she called before leaving the bathroom.

I smiled, before washing my hands as well.

"Hello Myrtle," I said,before hearing her sigh.

"Hello Zoe."

I smiled, shaking my hands to dry from the water, before leaving the bathroom.

[848 words]