forty-two

Mattheo's POV

*two weeks later*

Monday.

It was odd to think that in a week it'd be winter holiday. I'd stay here, either way. It'd be quite awkward if I arrived home after being so stupid.

The year six and sevens have a party on Friday night before everyone leaves Saturday. All-house party. Yet only year six and sevens.

We've barely been working in class lately, and to my relief, some of the teachers would leave the class.

Luckily for me, Professor Snape left ten minutes into the double. Only, my attention was still held captive, by Zoe.

She had her hair in a cute high-ponytail. Only then I realized how quickly her hair grew.

Even though she sat beside me, sort of not talking to me at all, she was oblivious about my staring. I'm convinced that she wasn't even paying attention.

She had her feet curled up against the desk and her chest, while she was reading what I remember to be Little Woman. She loved the book.

She'd been reading it so far for both the first and most of the second periods of Potions.

The only words she spoke to me in the last week was asking me if I had ink for her quil. That's it.

"Stop staring."

I snapped out of my gaze, before realizing it was she who said it to me.

I looked down at my sketchbook, continuing my sketching. Even then I noticed her glancing at me. It made me smile.

"Stop staring," I said, making her eyes shoot down to her book. It made me laugh. "Still reading that book?"

She frowned, looking at me, then scoffed. "There's nothing wrong with this book. I like it."

I shrugged. "Just asking. Do you even manage to finish it? Or do you just continue to read it and make as I you've finished it."

She scoffed. "Oh please, Mattheo. As if you'd know. You don't even read from your text books."

Nothing could correct her. She was right. Funny enough.

I looked around the room, searching for anything else to look at, but my eyes just returned to her.

"Stop staring."

I grinned. "It's hard not to."

"Just look anywhere else," she said, making me chuckle.

"I'd rather look at you."

She sighed, clearly trying not to smile as she looked up from her book at the board, then me.

"Draw something. Doodle on the desk. Mark the desk. I don't care. Just stop staring."

I chuckled, leaning into my hand as my elbow rested on the table; my face turned to her.

"Mattheo-"

"I'm picturing you in a clown costume."

"A what?!" she asked with a laugh as she looked at me again.

"A clown costume."

She scoffed. "My Merlin."

Just in time the bell rang and she flew to her feet, pulling her bag over her shoulder as she made her way to the door. I scurried to my feet after her, before rushing to walk beside her on the way to Transfigurations.

"Go away, Mattheo," she giggled as I stepped beside her, walking a side-step as I tried making her look at me.

"You'd look prettier."

"I'd look like a clown."

"Maybe even a hot clown."

She laughed as I squeezed my way passed students who acted like they didn't see me.

The fucking audacity.

"At least you're smiling again," I grunted as I finally gasped in fresh air.

She rolled her eyes. "Like you'd know. You're never around me."

"Doesn't mean I don't look out for you."

Her sarcastic eyes turned surprised, and immediately I bit down on my lip.

Great going, Mattheo. Now you're a stalker.

"I meant it as in-"

Suddenly she pushed me back, reversing me into a classroom. It took me a moment to realize that she shoved me into McGonagall's classroom.

"Zoe-"

She smiled, laughing. "Go sit down, Mattheo. Class is about to begin."

She walked passed me, before sitting down beside Hermione.

I smiled. Was she really not worried that I sound like a total stalker?

But then suddenly someone grabbed me by the back of my collar, yanking me out of the classroom, before shoving me against the wall beside the door.

"Now you're the good guy who deserves the princess?"

I stared at Alex bluntly. "I'm sorry-"

"Let him go, McKinnon," Theodore said behind him, clearly looking around for teachers.

"What do you want with Zoe?"

"What do you care?" I bit, shoving him off of me. "Haven't even seen you two together in weeks."

"And I'd say the same but you're overly friendly today."

"McKinnon, leave it. He believes he deserves forgiveness."

"Deserve?" I laughed before Alex could. "I don't even deserve a smile from her. Yet I'm hoping to see one daily. What- why are you two suddenly buddies?"

"Don't ask me," Theodore said as he looked at me. "Look dude, she's not ganna forgive you. Drop it, and move on."

"Not as simple," I scoffed. "What did I say about tattooed into your memories?"

"So what?" Theodore laughed. "Hoping you can bone her and she's get hooked?"

"Worked for you, huh?" I asked, making him sigh.

Alex scoffed. "Don't break her, got it?"

"Sure, as if you'd care," I said, picking up my bag. "Let me be, will you?"

I walked back into the class, sinking into my seat in the far back. Alex entered after me, before sitting down near the front.

I scoffed.

Am I not allowed to feel like a normal teenager? Addicted. Crazy. Like they don't know what it feels like.

Morans.

[932 words]