thirty-seven

Mattheo’s POV

Saturday.

It was like stepping into the Ministry of Magic. Being somewhere you know you're not really supposed to be. And even woese: knowing there'd be no good outcome.

The Malfoy Manner was chilling. It sent shivers down my body. But I had to do this.

I've officially had enough.

"Mattheo?" Mother asked in shock as she looked at me enter the room.

Father turned, just as surprised to see me. "I thought I sent you away. Surprised to see you return just a week after your brother. You've got guts, boy."

"I did my job. I gave him the names."

"And yet he returned without a killing. Why did you tell him not to, boy?"

I stepped beside the table, holding onto it for dear life.

"I don't approve of your orders."

"Mattheo!" Mother yelled in shock. "Don't disagree with your father. He is your Lord. You will obey him!"

I stood with my eyes on him, trying my best not to seem afraid.

"I will not."

His face lit with disbelief. "And why not? Has your loyalties moved?"

I took a deep breath. "My loyalties lie with no one. Not you. Neither with Dumbledore, nor with Grindelwald."

Mother looked horrified. "How dare you, Mattheo. Disgraceful to disobey your Lord. None the less your own father."

"One who barely is one?!" I caught myself blurting, looking at her. But I didn't stop. "I do not owe this man a soul. I do not own him my life. He is not my 'lord'. He is a curse upon the Wizarding world, and I will not be part of his or your family or cult."

She looked horrified. "Mattheo. You are not to-"

"I made no oath," I said, looking at my Father. "I made no vow. I made no promise. I made no deal. I am no longer a death eater; and unless I get murdered, you cannot stop me."

Father just looked at me, no word leaving his lips. He looked blank, but I knew he wasn't. He was just silent.

"I apologize, Mother; but I am no longer in your order. I'm older than sixteen, and allowed to leave. I wish you that your future may be what you deserve, but I refuse to be a part of it."

I stood away from the desk, awaiting their response. And as expected, my father glanced at my mother, who just stood back in fear.

Then, as if in instinct, Father and I rose our wands at the same time. We stood frozen, and I saw the surprise in his eyes.

"Lower your wand, son. You don't want die, do you?"

For a few seconds I wasn't afraid. I just simply didn't care. "I'd rather die than be part of your cult. Killing innocent people."

"And you have not?" Thomas laughed behind me, but I didn't dare to take my eyes off of my father. "Do I dare remind you who your first killing was?"

"Enough, Thomas," Mother snapped. "Let your father handle this."

"Kill me," I said, staring into my father's eyes. "I dare you to say the words. Kill your son."

"Tom," Mother shivered, her eyes looking at my father. "Don't. He's our son."

"Kill me," I said again.

I don't know why, but I needed the rush.

"Kill me!" I yelled.

But he didn't. He lowered his wand, looking at me blankly.

A sigh of relief left Thomas' lips behind me. "Go," he whispered, soft enough for neither mother nor father to hear.

I stepped back, and turned around quick enough to glance at Thomas.

He'd always still be my brother.

Then I left.

-----

Stepping into my dorm, awaiting eyes shot up.

"My God, you're alive?" Draco laughed, sounding quite surprised behind his words.

Theodore looked more relieved. "You're safe."

"Don't look at me like you're crushing," I bit, making him roll his eyes. "I'm not dying so soon."

"Good," Pansy bit, standing up from Draco’s bed. "Because you better get your shit together. Start with Zoe."

"What?" both Theodore and I asked, looking at her.

"Pansy, are you nuts?" Theodore spoke before I could. "He's not worth her time-"

"Her time?" I laughed. "What happened to my time?"

He scoffed. "Please I'm far passed your concerns. My worry is at her now."

"Why?" Blaise laughed. "You love her now?" he mocked.

Theodore rolled his eyes, looking at me. "Don't break fragile things, Mattheo. And you've already started cracking her."

"Funny, coming from someone she hates," I bit.

He laughed. "Might want to check again, Riddle. You're behind."

I looked at him, forcing down the urge to grab the nearest thing and throw it at him.

"Alright, stop it," Pansy said, stepping forward. "Can you two ever get along? Please. Merlin is going mad in the afterlife thanks to you two."

"Fine," I bit, lifting my hands. "I'll come back when he grows a dick."

He grinned. "Ask Zoe. I already have one."

Before I could stop forward, Pansy leaped between us, pointing her fighter at me.

"No. Out. Now!"

Draco was olso on his feet, awaiting my response.

So I grabbed the nearest thing I could find and threw it towards Theodore.

Bad choice, Mattheo.

[871 words]