thirty-three

Zoe's POV

Thursday.

It's been a never ending cycle. Sleep, wake up, walk to the bathroom, back to bed, sleep, repeat.

Sometimes I'd just sit and stare at the pile of books beside my bed, but to no avail. I wouldn't read them.

Kieran sometimes brought me snacks, and fruits, but some snacks would just land in my bedside drawer.

Like torture and lack of will to continue living. Somehow, I've lost my appetite for everything I've always liked.

Kieran covered for me with the teachers, saying I was feeling really unwell and stayed in bed with a flu.

Believable? I don't know.

Apparently Mattheo has been bugging both Aria and Kieran to see me, but they refused to allow him.

I'd kill him to be honest. Really.

Yet today I couldn't just sit still. I couldn't even sleep late. Before Aria and Kieran were even awake, I was on my way to The Great Hall.

To sit with who? I don't know.

Yet, when I entered, it was fairly empty. I sat down near the middle of the sixth-year tables, while catching up on Astronomy.

Somehow the time passed quickly, because within what felt like minutes, a surprised Kieran sat down in front of me. Beside her was an equally as surprised Aria.

"Not a word," I stated, and they said nothing.

Not so long after, Alex sat down beside me. He looked confused, but said nothing.

It had me wondering: did they even know why I was missing for so long? Or just didn't care?

Eventually I was semi-caught up. I piled my books together; bringing then to my chest as I stood up with my bag iver my shoulder.

I didn't utter a word as I left, walking passed observing eyes from two tables down. As I passed them, I caught a glance of Pansy, looking at me beggingly.

But I didn't say a word.

Just when I thought I was over and done with it all, my eyes met Mattheo's as I passed through the door.

Our eyes barely met for five seconds, before I looked away, continuing my way down the corridor. And I felt him watch me.

Eventually I turned a corner, and his eyes would no longer be a curse; but that wasn't the worse thing. The fact that he looked so careless and unbothered was the worse part.

Did he not care a bit? Or even at all?

He lied to me. Completely fucking lied. Was my absence not bugging him? Was I just something to keep him busy? What was I actually to him?

It had my mind rushing, but then I remembered.

Saturday's party.

The perfect opportunity to get back at him- sort of. Mostly to make him jealous.

And I know it's a stupid move- but what do I have to lose? Nothing.

-----

Friday.

"Zoe!"

I closed my eyes as I continued walking.

"Zoe, please. Just two minutes."

I sighed, coming to a stop. Theo stepped in front of me; breathing heavily, as if he had jogged after me to Herbology.

"You going tomorrow?"

I frowned lightly. "Tomorrow?"

"The party."

I smiled. "Oh, yeah. How could I miss it?"

He smiled. "Look, I know you probably hate me-"

"Completely," I agreed, yet still smiled.

He gave a light chuckle. "Well, I- do you want to go with me, sort of as my date?"

I gave a sympathetic smile. "To be honest, Theo. I'm mainly going to fuck with Mattheo's head. I don't want to-"

"Then go with one of the boys he despises the most at the moment."

I frowned lightly. "I beg your pardon? I don't understand..."

He laughed. "Mattheo hates me, because he thinks it was I who told you. And I'm the last person anyone expects you to go to some party with. It'll be quite an entrance."

What he said was true. Mattheo wouldn't appear with some date, but if I did, he'd be hysterical. Completely lost his mind kind of hysterical. And Theo was the best option of all.

So of course I said: "I'd love to be your date, Theo."

He simply took my hand, before placing a kiss on my fingers; his lips brushing over the ring.

Yes, I haven't taken it off.

"I'll see you later, darling."

I smiled, turning back around to walk down the stairs to Herbology.

Yet, somehow, there as a big smile on my lips. Not because of the image of hysterical Mattheo, but because Theo had an amazing plan, for once.

I sat down beside Kieran, and she frowned. "You look happy."

"Quite," I smiled, looking at her. "I have a date for tomorrow."

She lit with interest. "Oh my God, who?"

I shrugged. "Oh I'm not telling. You'll have to wait and see."

Alright so she had figured that Mattheo was a douche. I'm curious though. How?

[814 words]