fifty-eight

Zoe's pov

Friday

The food in front of me looked uninteresting. Sort of made me nauseous.

"How long before we get to leave this place?" I groaned, looking up at the teachers pacing up and down.

Apparently we came so late this morning and so soaked, we were all being punished. These who weren't doing DADA verbals had to be in the Great Hall until lunch. It was torture.

"Two hours before lunch," Astoria groaned.

Suddenly the doors opened, and not to my surprise, Pansy entered, groaning as McGonagall entered after her.

She tried bunking. Clearly failed.

Pansy dropped beside me, looking at me with no longer anger, but sudden sorrow.

"What?" I asked frowning, looking down at the book on my lap, closing it, before looking back at her.

"Zoe, I have to tell you something. About Mattheo."

Oh. Fuck. No.

"At the party last night-"

"Mattheo was at the party last night?" I asked, my jaw suddenly dropping.

She sighed. "Of course you're too drunk to remember. Zoe, I- I fucked up. But I was high. So was he... and- uhm..."

Then I returned to being too worried to even try to remember something of last night. She sighed, sliding her hand into her bag.

"What happened, Pansy?"

She didn't answer me, and continued to slipp some small papers from her bag.

"Pansy, what the fuck happened?!"

Then she handed me the papers. I looked down at them, seeing them as Polaroids. I turned them around, and under the table on my lap, I spread them out.

"What are these?" I asked, and only heard her sigh.

As I observed the photos, my eyes slowly started frowning.

What. The. Actual. Flying. Fuck.

-----

The moment he stepped into the common room, my hand left a red mark on the side of his face.

Everything around us froze.

Mattheo frowned, holding the side of his face, before finally looking at me. By the looks of his wide-eyed facial expression, I knew he was lost. And so was everyone else looking at us.

"What the fuck Zoe?" he snapped. "What the fuck was that for?"

Pansy placed her hand on my shoulder, but I shoved it off, still looking at Mattheo, clearly pissed. Of course he knew. I looked more pissed than ever.

"Zoe. What the fuck-"

I slapped him again, and that made him grab my wrist, sending both Alex and Theo into alert.

"Let go of me!" I bit.

He scoffed. "You slap me and expect me to-"

"You were there last night?!"

He frowned. "Yes I was. Zoe, don't you-"

"I was fucking drunk. Clearly you were as well. But fuck- that's clearly always your excuse, right?"

He stood clueless. "Alright I'm not a big fan of your fucking senseless sentences, Zoe-"

"You fucking cheater!" I yelled, yanking my wrist away.

He stood wide-eyed again. Of course he did. Of course he acted clueless. Fucker.

"What the hell are you-"

Then I pushed the Polaroids against his chest, and let go, causing them to drop to the floor.

He bent down, picked them up and looked at them in curiosity.

Then his face dropped to guilt.

I chuckled lightly in fury. "What was it that Theo told me? The devil doesn't change?"

His eyes shot at me with sudden regret. "Zoe, I was-"

"That's your excuse?!" I yelled.

Theo snapped the Polaroid from his hand and his jaw dropped. "You made out with-"

"My best fucking friend. At a party I was at," I said, making the common room even more silent. "None the less with me in the fucking background. So you know what Mattheo? Screw you!"

I attempted to turn around and walk away, but he leaped forward, grabbing my wrist in front of the gathered crowd.

"Mattheo, let go-"

"Please, Zoe. Let's talk this through. If you listen to me, maybe we could-"

"Oh shut it!" I yelled, trying to pull my hand away, but he just proceeded to tighten his grip.

"Zoe. Let's talk," he morally insisted.

I felt tears form. "You cheated, Mattheo. You truly never changed. And I- I thought I changed you. I really did; but... but the devil doesn't change, for anyone."

I felt his grip loosen, and that's when Theodore proceeded to grab arm gently, and pull me out of his grasp. He held his arm over my shoulder, while he, Pansy, Alex and I proceeded to go upstairs to my dorm.

And Mattheo just stood there. Lifeless.

-----

In the bathroom, I pushed a damp cloth over my face, pulling off tears.

Suddenly a light ring echoed the entire school, before Dumbledore spoke and said: "All students return to the Great Hall."

I sighed, placing the cloth back into the sink.

"Go, I'll wait for her," Pansy said, before I heard the boys' footsteps decrease as they left the dorm. "Zoe, you alright?"

I opened the door, giving her a hopeless smile. She smiled softly, before I passed her, getting myself a jacket.

She sighed. "Zoe, I'm sorry."

I didn't turn to her, but rather just picked at my shoelaces.

"I have to do this... for your own good."

I frowned, looking up at her, before seeing her point her wand at me. "Pansy?"

"I'm sorry, Zoe. I- I'm sorry..."

"Pansy, what-"

"Obliviate..."

[886 words]