fifty-six

Theodore's POV

Wednesday.

And I stood frozen. Right in between of two pillars, looking at the last thing I ever wanted to see in my life.

Zoe in love with someone else.

She looked over-joyed. A smile spread on her lips as she and Mattheo pulled their lips apart. I've seen them kiss multiple times, but this one was more than a kiss. This one was a lovers seal.

I had lost to Mattheo. He had won her.

Her laughter echoed the courtyard as she spun around again. She's always loved the rain. More than the clear night sky. And she looked perfect in between the drops of water.

And with that, my heart sunk.

"Come on man," Alex said beside me. "She's gone, man. We need to go talk with Pansy. Finalized it."

He gave me a light nudge, before walking down the corridor. It took me a couple of seconds to remove my eyes from her.

I wasn't so sure anymore...

~

"And then you use the spell," Alex said, and Pansy nodded.

I looked towards them, completely uncertain. "Maybe we-"

"It'll work perfect," Pansy smiled. "It's the best way, Theo. Come on!"

I sighed. She was right. It was the only way.

"I have to go," she said, making her way to the door. "See you guys tomorrow."

I looked at her, seeing her make her way out of the room, before her footsteps faded. Then I looked at Alex.

"I never asked. Why do you care?"

He sighed. "Zoe doesn't deserve any of this," he said. "The moment Mattheo punched Joe, I knew it was the beginning of a game. No one would help- but you."

"What, you like her?" I teased.

He chuckled, shaking his head. "No. Merlin, no. I'm fine. She's just a sweetheart actually, you know?"

I nodded. She was. And she didn't deserve any of this.

-----

Thursday.

"Still deciding against tonight's party?" I asked, dropping down into the chair across from Mattheo.

He looked up at me. "Yeah."

"Dude," Draco joined. "Maybe I'll get drunk. And it's the last party of the school year. Come on, man."

Mattheo shrugged. "I don't know-"

"Just come," I said firmly. "I know we hate each other, but for Zoe's sake. Come."

He looked at me, hesitantly. But finally caved. "Fine. Whatever. I'm only going to look out for her. Alright?"

I nodded. "Yeah whatever. Not like we want to dance with you."

Draco laughed. "Too bad. I'm sure you'd love to Tango with him."

I rolled my eyes, before glancing at Mattheo. He looked just as unpleased as I was.

Eww.

-----

Draco, Lorenzo and I finally reached the lake. We were surprised at how many children were already there, but that didn't stop us from noticing the three girls already on the make-shift dancefloor.

Zoe was clearly already a few cups in.

"Imma get drinks," Draco said, before vanishing off to the side. Lorenzo vanished shortly after, and I found myself on a log near the water; my eyes on a lookout.

I couldn't see Pansy after a couple of songs, and Mattheo probably didn't arrive yet.

Zoe on the other hand found me, and planted herself down beside me.

"Lonely?"

"Observing," I smiled. "Where's Pansy and Astoria?"

She shrugged, and I could clearly tell she wasn't sober- nor tipsy. She was drunk, and not far from wasted.

"Pamsy is probably kissing Know-it-all and Astroria is probably with Draco."

"Pansy and Astoria."

"Yes them," she said, her eyes scanning the place.

I laughed, my eyes also scanning, and that's when I saw Mattheo stumbling out from behind trees.

"I have to go," I said, looking at her. "I'll see around, Zoe."

She smiled as I stood up. "Bye-bye."

I made my way to him, where I suddenly pushed my laughter down as he looked at me with red eyes.

"You've been fucking smoking?" I laughed. "Man. What happened to looking after Zoe?"

"Is she alright?" he asked, clearly high as fuck.

I laughed. "Yes she's fine. What about you? What the fuck happened?"

"There's weed here-"

"So, what? You got fucking high?!"

He nodded. I scoffed hopelessly.

"Merlin. I'm not looking after you."

I shoved passed him, vanishing off to the drinks.

This was going to be a long night.

-----

Well I was back on the log within an hour, watching over Zoe as she was dancing. Mattheo was missing, and as expected- so was Pansy.

I'd scan for them, but nothing.

Zoe was luckily with an old friend- Mary I think, and Astoria. All three wasted. Quite surprised that Astoria was still here, and not with Draco.

When my eyes moved around again, they froze. The caught the glimpse of Pansy and Mattheo. Her lips crashed into his, and his hand on her waist.

Good job Pansy. Your job is halfway done.

[812 words]

*shit is ganna go down. book is almost over*