forty-one

Theodore's POV

Friday

"Fair enough," Zoe laughed. "To be fair, Blaise does need a trim. His beard is a bit patchy- I mean fluffy."

I couldn't help but laugh as Blaise gave her an unsafe- yet harmless glare. She simply gave a smile back.

"I have to go," I said as I killed my cigarette bud against the grass, before flicking it into the distance.

Zoe sighed. She's been trying to get me to quit smoking for weeks now, but she knows her attempt to trying is to no avail. I can't quit.

I gave a salute, before grabbing my bag, jogging off. I had some Potions homework I had to do before class. Unfortunately I was swamped with quidditch practice the previous day.

Walking down the corridors to Potions, I got stopped near the classroom by Mattheo.

In all honesty I'd just walk away if I wasn't curious. He was odd lately.

"What's up, Riddle?" I asked, looking at him as he looked at me from the wall he sat on.

"How is she?" he asked.

And he knew I knew he was speaking about Zoe.

I shrugged. "She's fine."

Mattheo sighed. "Come on, man. I'm serious. She's still not really speaking to, so I'm curious."

"I don't blame her," I said in all honesty. "She has the right-"

"I just want to know how she is, man. Dumbledore's stumble had her a bit hysterical, so I'm just being kind."

For a moment I stared at him. How the fuck did he know? He wasn't there, for sure. Yet he knew?!

"She's a bit restless, but she'll be fine. We'll all be."

He nodded. "Still despise me, huh?"

I chuckled. "Me or her? Because I'm sure the answer would be fairly close to yes."

Sighing, Mattheo rolled his eyes. "You, Nott."

I grinned. "I've always hated you, Riddle. You're walking trouble."

"So are you."

"At least I've never lied to her."

"You have!" Mattheo laughed. "Multiple times. And now I'm the bad guy?!"

"How's the drinking problems?"

He scoffed. "It's not a problem, Nott. I'm not an alcoholic."

"Surely don't give a different impression, Riddle. You're no good."

"I'm better," he defended.

I laughed. "And for who? Her? Like she's going to want you back because you're going to every class."

He jumped off the wall. "I'll keep trying, Nott. Until she forgives me."

Scoffing, I shook my head. "She's sick of you, Riddle. You're the devil's son. Actually, you're the devil himself."

"And you're not a demon?" He scoffed. "You're not much different than I am, Nott. Maybe a little more friendlier, but still a dick."

"Maybe a bigger one," I grinned.

"Alright then," Draco said as he suddenly shoved me aside. "Enough of that. Get going, Theo."

I scoffed, walking away with Draco following me. He sighed.

"Man, lay off him, will you?"

I scoffed again. "What's it to you?"

He shrugged, holding onto the bag over his shoulder. "Well long story short he's trying. We can't hate him forever, you know that right?"