Taking Nelli for a walk

"Are you ready to go?" Nick asked Charlie as he stood up from putting Nelli's lead on.

The two of them had decided that the best way to spend a sunny Saturday afternoon was taking Nick's cute Border Collie, Nelli, for a walk.

"Yeah, where do you take her?"
"Just up to the park and back. Let her run around a bit, y'know" Nick said as the two of them started to walk. Nick holding Nelli's lead, pulling him slightly in her excitement to get to the park.

"Wish I had a dog" Charlie mumbled sadly, it's something he'd always asked his parents for but never got. He loved the idea of having an excuse to take long walks and get away for a bit.
"Do you want to take her lead?" Nick held the handle in front of Charlie who took it eagerly
"Thanks!"

Nick's eyes lit up at how something so simple made Charlie so happy and making Charlie happy was the best feeling in the world.

"I take her out in the evenings sometimes too, you should come with me" Nick suggested, still watching Charlie who had the biggest grin on his face. The sun was shining down on them and Nick noticed how it made Charlie's hair a beautiful colour or chesnut brown.

"Yeah!" Charlie said a bit too enthusiastically, "T-that'd be great" He added quietly, a little embarrassed at how keen he had sounded.

Neither of them spoke for a little while; Charlie didn't mind. He loved the feeling of having company without the need to talk. Everything was so easy with Nick. Even though he wouldn't admit it, Charlie pretended - just for a second - that Nelli was his dog and he was taking her for a walk.

As they got to the bottom of Nick's road, they could see the park and apparently so could Nelli as she tried to run. Charlie struggled a bit to keep her from charging across the road.

"Nelli!" Nick shouted, quickly taking the dog by her collar to pull her back, "Stop it!" But when Nelli continued to try to run ahead Nick took the lead from Charlie to stop him from being pulled over.

"Sorry, she's not normally like this- hey!" Nick called again and Nelli stopped almost instantly from the tone in Nick's voice. "Sit!"
Nelli sat quickly, looking eagerly over her shoulder at Nick and whining a little bit in excitement. Waiting for permission to speed ahead again.
"Calm down" Nick demanded, "Don't show me up in front of Charlie" He added more softly, smiling at Charlie who laughed a little.
"Right, go on-"
Nelli stood up instantly and started going almost as fast
"Nelli!"

It was as if she knew that was her final warning and calmed down a lot this time. Walking almost beside Nick.

"Here" Nick handed Charlie the lead again, "We'll let her off when we get across the road"

Charlie couldn't help but smile to himself; there was something so attractive about guys taking control of a situation.

"Right, sit, Nelli" Nick told the dog who obeyed reluctantly as she looked around at all the other dogs playing in the park. Charlie watched as Nick took the clip off Nelli's collar and took the lead from him. Nelli immediately sped off to join all her doggy friends.

"She's so cute" Charlie said, thinking out loud
"Yeah, when she behaves!" Nick said, trying to sound annoyed but it just made Charlie laugh
"Come on, race you to the swings!"