The New Kid P3

"Hey Joe!" I heard Nick calling from behind me on the way to tutor.

It wasn't that I was making a real effort to avoid him, but if I could I would. Which meant sitting with the other rugby guys instead of his group during breaks and tutor group. That only left the lessons, which was easy enough to do most of the time. I just kept my head down.

Don't ask me why I was avoiding him. I guess I just feel a bit overwhelmed with his kindness. Which sounds so stupid, but there it is. Plus mum has started a new job which means I have to be home on Tuesdays to look after Fizz and Alissa so that means no rugby practice. How was I going to tell Nick?

"Nick!" I called out, turning around with the biggest smile I could muster
"Where have you been?" Nick asked, catching up with me, "You've been avoiding me"
"No, I just- have other friends now"
"Damn, alright"
"No, I ddn't mean-"
"We still have lessons together, you don't even look at me these days"
"Sorry, I um- have something to tell you actually" I said, changing tact and regretting it immediately. It just rolled off my tongue and now I had to actually tell him about rugby tomorrow.
"Yeah?"
"I'm not going to be able to make practice tomorrow"
"Oh, how come?"

Nick was disappointed, I could tell. According to what he said last week, I was well on my way to becoming top of the team. I don't know how, I was just a quick learner but Nick was impressed. Having to stop practice was a proper let down and that wasn't a good feeling. Letting down the first actual friend you've had.

"My mum has a new job, which is great but it means I've gotta watch my two sisters while she's working which is most evenings. Including Tuesdays" I explained, having rehearsed it over in my head multiple times since mum told me.
"Oh right-"
"I'm sorry-"
"Don't be stupid, family comes first"
"Yeah, sorry"
"Stop saying sorry" Nick laughs, opening the door to our tutor classroom.

I follow him to our old table and Nick sits in the seat next to Charlie's.

"Sorry" I reply without thinking and we both laugh
"You're as bad as Charlie - speak of the devil"
"Morning" Charlie smiles, sitting down next to Nick. I watched as Charlie's hand slips under the table to squeeze Nick's knee before moving back up to the table.

Such a quick gesture you wouldn't notice if you didn't know about them.

"Joe can't make rugby practice and he keeps apologising about it, I said he's like you"
"Yeah" Charlie scoffs, "Nick's always telling me not to say the S word"
"It's hard not to, when someone says don't you immediately want to say sorry"
"That's what I say!" Nick agrees animatedly and laughs.

It felt good to be back with these two again.

"Have you got any evenings free?" Nick asks as I take out my English homework due first period.

The girls were being a handful yesterday after school and I hadn't had a chance to get a minute to do it. I hadn't missed a single deadline yet and I didn't plan to now.

I puffed out my cheeks and let out a big sigh, "Thursdays, maybe, but I can't go out. I cook for my two sisters. Mum's home from work by 2pm on Thursdays but she has just been going to bed as soon as she gets home so I put the girls to bed" I explain, staring at the homework but not taking anything in, "Why is English so fucking difficult?" I add, pushing the paper away.

I see Nick share a glance with Charlie out of the corner of my eye. I guess they've never seen me look stressed, I do a good job of hiding it normally.

"I can come to you?" Nick suggested, "Maybe your sisters can do some rugby practice too - wear them out before bed"
"Would you?" I ask, looking at Nick a bit too hopefully, "We don't have a big garden, but we could practise tackling - the girls would love you"
Nick smiled, "That's sorted then, I'll come to yours after school on Thursday"
"What's the homework?" Charlie leaned over to take the paper, "Oh, that's easy - write about that quote, 'fair is foul, and foul is fair" it's a epanadiplosis"
"An epan- what?" I ask