Nick being stubborn

"It's fine- I'm fine!" Nick corrected himself, trying to protest against Charlie's concern.
"You're limping!" Charlie shot back, walking carefully next to Nick. Ready to catch him if he fell.

They had just finished a rugby match and Nick had been tackled pretty badly. Although he soldiered on, Charlie knew he was just putting on a brave face.

When they finally got back to the changing room, the rest of the team had already gone as they were walking so slowly.

"We should at least see the school nurse" Charlie told Nick
"I'm fine, honestly!" Nick shot Charlie a big smile which immediately faltered when he had to step over the doorway into the changing rooms.

As much as Charlie wanted to continue to argue, he decided against it and decided to just get in the shower. He felt as if he was being dismissive, but he didn't want to be clingy and if Nick said he was okay, then he was okay.

Once he was clean, Charlie got out with his towel wrapped around his waist. Nick was still in the shower and so Charlie began to get dressed into his school uniform again to go home.

He tried not to look, but Charlie's eyes traveled up to Nick's face and down his torso when he stepped out of the shower. Nick pretended not to notice but he would be lying if said the thought of Charlie watching him didn't give him butterflies. But Nick wasn't ready to admit that, his feelings towards Charlie were so confusing.

Charlie was sat on the bench pretending to struggle getting his socks on to avoid looking up at Nick who was changing next to him. He didn't want Nick to think he was checking him out. When Charlie had finally decided that he'd spent enough time fumbling with the hem of his socks, he looked up and got a glimpse of Nick's bruised leg as he only had his shirt and boxers on.

"Nick!" He gasped and immediately regretted overreacting
"It's fine!" Nick said for what felt like the hundredth time
"It looks so bad" Charlie reached his hand out without thinking and brushed his fingers down the side of Nick's left leg where a long bruise had started to show
Nick's breath hitched, "I-it's fine" He stammered out

Charlie pulled his hand away quickly and immediately blushed. He proceeded to convince himself that Nick definitely thought he was a weird creep now.

Nick opened his mouth; deciding whether to say something or not but didn't. He just continued to get changed instead while Charlie sat awkwardly in silence. Suddenly realising how alone they were at this end of the school.

"I don't think I'll play for a little while" Nick finally said after agonising silence, "Let this heal" He winced as he got his shoes on
"But I can't practise without you!" Charlie panicked, "I only joined because you asked me to"
Nick laughed, "You'll be fine! I'll still come and watch if you like"

So that's what they did. Charlie continued to show up for practise because Nick was watching from a chair and the edge of the pitch. Occasionally they'd catch each others' eye and wave as if they were seeing each other for the first time.

"You're doing fine!" Nick reassured Charlie for the third time in half an hour as Charlie had said he was getting a drink from his bottle which was conveniently placed next to Nick's chair.

"I only want to see you back here if you've been tackled and bruised your leg as bad as I have" Nick smirked, "Now go!"