Nick supports Charlie when he feels dysphoric

Seldom123 - this was so wholesome to write, I hope you like it as much as I liked writing it <3

"For the hundredth time, you look fine!" Nick said although he wasn't even looking up from his phone.

The couple had decided to meet up with their friends for a cinema date and while Nick was scrolling through his phone, lying on Charlie's bed, Charlie was frantically trying on different shirts and jeans.

"I just don't feel right" Charlie mumbled, slightly panicky and ringing his hands.

Nick immediately looked up from his phone when he heard how anxious Charlie was.

"It's alright, we don't have to go if you don't want to" Nick said, getting up from the bed and taking Charlie's hands in his
"It's not that, I just-" Charlie hesitated, pulling himself away from Nick to look in his mirror again, "Do I look too masculine to you?"
Nick scoffed, "Do you want to dress like a girl?"
Charlie didn't say anything and shifted awkwardly. He looked scared which made Nick's heart sink.

"Hey" Nick cooed, hugging Charlie from behind, "What's wrong?"
Charlie brought his arms up to his torso to be on top of Nick's, "I think I might want to"
"Dress like a girl?" Nick asked, his voice full of confusion. He pulled away from Charlie.
"Oh, no - it's a stupid idea, forget I said anything" Charlie said quickly, looking down at his feet in shame.
"No, no it's not stupid" Nick reassured him, cupping Charlie's face with his hands, "Tori's out isn't she?"
"Yeah?"
Charlie felt a wave of excitement rush over him.
"Why don't you go and pick something out of hers?" Nick suggested casually and Charlie smiled
"Really?" He grinned and Nick shrugged
"Why not?"

Charlie didn't wait around and rushed to Tori's room to find something to try on. Nick slumped back down on Charlie's bed, smiling to himself because of how happy Charlie was and how much he must trust him to tell him about something like this. Although there was a small part of him that was a little worried; what does this mean? Does Charlie want to be a girl, will he want to transition like Elle?

Before Nick's mind could spiral, Charlie came back beaming ear to ear and holding up a floral summer dress.

"Tori literally never wears this" He said, holding up the dress a little higher, "And I don't know if it'll be too feminine but I wanted to try it anyway, if that's okay?" Charlie added, looking up at Nick, feeling slightly worried he would laugh at him.

His worries disappeared when he saw the loving smile on Nick's face.

"I'll zip it up for you if you like"
"Okay" Charlie agreed, beaming, "Let me put it on first"

Nick turned his back to Charlie while he changed, smiling like an idiot while he waited. A couple of minutes passed before Nick heard Charlie crying quietly.

"Oh Char, what's wrong?" Nick turned to see Charlie looking at himself in the mirror with the dress still open at the back and his hands covering part of his face.
"N-nothing I just-" Charlie sniffed
"Are they happy tears?"
Charlie started properly crying now and just nodded, making Nick immediately throw his arms around him.

"Let me zip it up for you" Nick said softly once Charlie's sobs had reduced to sniffles. He pulled away and Charlie who turned for Nick to zip up the dress.

"You look so pretty"

Nick meant that, Charlie did look pretty. Not just because the blue flowers on the dress brought out the beautiful blue in his eyes, but also because Charlie was genuinely happy and it didn't matter what anyone wears; if they're happy, they're beautiful.

"Do you want to wear this to the cinema?" Nick asked as Charlie turned back around to face him.

Charlie shook his head, wiping his eyes and then laughing at how silly he felt for crying.

"If you want to wear dresses when it's just us, I'm okay with it" Nick spoke sincerely, taking Charlie's hands in his.

Charlie still had a lump in his throat and couldn't find his voice so he just nodded, staring into Nick's eyes. They were full of love and Charlie felt so safe.

"I want you to be happy" Nick continued, his eyes suddenly lit up, "I could learn how to do make up and give you a makeover!"
Charlie laughed even though it came out shaky because he was fighting back tears.

Nick's eyes travelled down to take in Charlie's appearance again. He really did look pretty.

"Can I call you princess?" Nick asked after a couple of seconds of silence.
Charlie laughed, looking down at the floor and then looking up again to meet Nick's eyes, "Yeah"
"I love you, Princess"

Nick liked the way the words sounded. They were pretty and light, but the best thing about them was how Charlie reacted when he said them. His lips curled into a small smile and Nick couldn't resist kissing them. He let go of Charlie's hands to put them around his waist instead, pulling his body closer.

After their kiss, Charlie turned his head to rest it on Nick's chest as Nick held him. He felt loved and safe being himself. His heart was full.