The Pride Parade

Just a little something as I'm loving looking at the photos of the Heartstopper cast at London Pride 😅

I was so excited to be going to my first ever Pride parade. Especially as I was going with all my friends. Nick and Charlie were of course going with matching face paint, Tara and Darcy had matching shirts and as much as he apparently didn't want to go, Tao was coming with Elle to support her.

So it was me and Isaac who weren't going with someone, but we didn't care. It was going to be so fun to walk the parade all together.

I had of course made a 'love is love' banner. A little clique, I know but what is life without its cliques?

"Ready?" Nick asked as he walked into Charlie's living room holding Charlie's hand. We were all waiting for them as they got ready upstairs.

"We wanted rainbow hearts on our cheeks, but Charlie couldn't do mine" Nick said, trying to act annoyed but failing when a smile crept on his face
"I'll do it" I offered, getting up from the sofa. My make up was already done, rainbow eyeshadow, eyeliner and a small rainbow heart on my cheekbone
"Would you?" Nick looked hopefully at me and I just laughed
"Obviously, come on" I said, walking out of the room and Nick followed after.

Nick sat patiently while I perfected the colours, it didn't take long and I could tell that he was pleased with it.

"Thank you, you're amazing!" Nick beamed, looking at it in the mirror
"What can I say?" I laughed, "You looking forward to it?"
"Yeah, this is important isn't it? That we do our bit" He said, although he didn't sound entirely sure
"Yeah, you're brave for doing it so soon - not everyone even knows yet do they?"

I had started putting the paint away again so I didn't notice Nick's face change as he started really thinking about what he was about to do.

"No" He said quietly and I looked up, immediately sensing the mood shifting.

Nick was looking at his lap.

"You'll be fine" I said, trying to reassure him, "We'll all be with you"
"Yeah, I know"
"But?" I prompting, sensing there was more
"I'm scared"

Nick looked up and I could see the fear on his face, the face he didn't let everyone see.  He was clearly nervous and unsure about the whole thing. I wanted to take it all away, there's something about seeing the vulnerability in someone that you don't usually see.

"Come here"

I pulled Nick into a hug and he accepted it immediately and rested his chin on my shoulder.

"It's not just that it's-" Nick started but decided against continuing and pulled away from the hug
"The crowds" I stated as if I'd read his mind, "You know I'm not a fan either, we'll look after each other" I told him
"Thank you" Nick smiled sheepishly, "For everything" He added
I hesitated, not knowing what to say
"I mean it, you've been such a good friend to us" Nick sounded so sincere I didn't know what to say so Nick continued, "I mean you've known me since- what"
"Year 7" I laughed at the memory of us meeting in our tutor group, "You wouldn't think we'd still be friends" I laughed again
"But we are and you've literally been there through it all"
"Well" I interrupted and laughed again, "Apart from when you ditched me a few months ago"
"Yeah, I know - I am sorry about that I just- meeting Charlie and trying to figure that all out-"
"It's fine, I'm joking" I smiled, "I'm proud of you" I added, then changed tact, "We better go back down"

I changed the subject because it wasn't like us to be so sentimental.

But it was true, me and Nick had been friends since the first day of high school and we had stayed together. It was like we had an unspoken pact to stick together.

"Yeah, thanks for this - you should really do make up more, you're so good at it" Nick said, getting up. His tone had changed back to the Nick everyone knew.

We headed back down stairs and Charlie immediately embraced Nick in a hug, "It looks so cute!" He beamed, "You should do make up more" Charlie said, turning to me
"That's what I said!" Nick laughed and we caught eyes. Nick gave me a look as if to say that what he had just said was a reference to our conversation upstairs.

We all left for the parade shortly after that. The first half of it was amazing. Seeing all of these people all together to celebrate one thing was incredible.

There were amazing costumes and make up and every time I looked at one of our group, they looked so happy. That was until I caught a glimpse of Nick.

He was holding hands with Charlie of course and Charlie was so happy. Beaming from ear to ear and taking everything in, lapping it up. But Nick was looking at the floor. He kept looking up and smiling when Charlie looked at him, but I could tell he was overwhelmed.

We were just over half way through and Nick had enjoyed it, I knew he had but now he was tired. It was like the adrenaline had worn off and realised the situation he was in.

As we were walking with hundreds and hundreds of people I couldn't just take Nick out of the crowd. But I could stand with him, so with everyone smiling and waving I reached forward and took Nick's hand.

"Charlie, go and walk with Tao for a bit" I shouted over the noise and in Charlie's euphoria he just smiled back and did as I said. Happily moving forward to stand with Tao and Elle who of course welcomed him in.

I pulled Nick back to be at my side and he kept hold of my hand.

"We're over half way" I told him and squeezed his hand, "We're here, at Pride!" I shouted out, excited and also pulling Nick out of his panic, telling him we're here together. I'm here with him and he's okay.
Nick smiled, "We are!" He called out, getting the message
"Happy Pride dickhead" I laughed and let go of his hand to put my arm around his waist, "I'm so proud of you"

Nick and I walked together for a while longer until Charlie took him back from me. He was happier though and I was happy to see him so happy.

Once we got to the end and got away from the crowd, we all stood as a group. Everyone was beaming, I'd never seen us all so happy.

"Come on, let's go on the big wheel!" Charlie called out, leading us all to the huge Ferris wheel that stood parallel to the end of the parade.

We split into two groups. I was with Nick and Charlie and the others went together.

"We've gotta do that again!" Charlie said, looking out at the huge crowds below
"It was really fun!" I agreed

Nick didn't say anything, instead he held Charlie's hand tightly and kept his eyes in the cart.

"You hate heights don't you" I laughed which made Nick force a laugh too
"I'm only here because Charlie wanted to"
Charlie watched Nick's terrified face and smiled slightly, "Just look once - the view's amazing!" He said, holding Nick's hand tighter, "We're safe up here, they wouldn't let us on if we weren't" He added, trying to reassure Nick who still looked unsure
"Fine, one look-" Nick peered over the side and immediately retreated back in, "Yep, too high - far too high"

Both Charlie and I laughed.

After that, we all went to get burgers. The perfect end to a perfect day. We would definitely do this again next year.

A mood

A mood