Ben Hope: But I like her brother P5

"Thank you, Ben" Andrew smiled up at him as Ben took the plate, "Your mum has trained you well"

The comment made Claire laugh and the two of them started chatting again as Ben carried the plates through to the kitchen.

"Just put them anywhere, I'll start loading the dishwasher" Finn told him. Ben did as he was told and left the plates on the nearest side and went to fetch the last two.

On his return, he saw Finn had almost stacked the dishwasher and had started running hot water in the sink. The kitchen was just as beautiful as the rest of the house. Marble counters, chef-grade oven and hobs, it was just another page in a show home guide.

"D'you want another beer?" Finn held out an open bottle of Stella from the kitchen fridge, "I keep a stash in here for when I'm cooking"
"Uh- yeah, thanks" Ben took the bottle and took a big gulp. Being alone with Finn meant he was going to need it.
"Right, I'll wash, you dry" Finn instructed, rolling up the sleeves on his shirt.

Ben just stood there, staring at Finn for a second.

"Tea towels are over there" Finn gestured to a glass cabinet with herbs and spices neatly organised on the shelves. The bottom of the cabinet had drawers and thankfully Ben found the tea towels in the first drawer he opened.

"So, you want to learn how to cook then?" Finn started, attempting to make conversation with the cute shy boy who had barely said anything all evening, "I can teach you if you like"
"Erm- yeah, I mean it would be good, if I'm going to uni in a couple of years" Ben added, trying to keep the conversation going. Which was getting easier with the more he drank so he took another gulp of beer and started on the second saucepan.

"I don't know where any of this goes by the way, so I'll just-" He put the next saucepan next to the first by the draining board, "Stack them here"
"That fine, mum's weird about the cupboards so I'll put them away"
"It's a nice house" Ben continued, taking in the kitchen again
"Yeah, drives me crazy sometimes" Finn put the next pan on the draining board and started on the utensils, "Everything has to be so neat, y'know"
"So it is always like this? Not just because we're here"
Finn laughed, "No, sorry - you're not special enough"
Ben laughed too. The beer was working its magic, finally. Here he was in the kitchen of a big house, alone with possibly the hottest guy he'd ever met and his dad was no where near him. Life was good.

"Right that's done" Finn said mostly to himself, "I'll put these away and then we'll start on the counters"

Ben just watched, sipping his beer.

"You want another?" Finn gestured to Ben's almost empty bottle
"Yeah, go on then" He handed Finn the empty one and their fingers brushed slightly. It felt electric.
"I can give you a house tour after this if you like?"

The prospect of spending more time alone with Finn was too exciting for Ben to decline so he didn't and before he knew it, Finn was telling him to follow him up the stairs. For a second, his heart starting racing but he let it go. Couldn't he just let himself enjoy something for once? Not everything needed overthinking.

"And this is the reading room, as Dad calls it - I just mainly use the desk for my work" Finn was saying, Ben had almost seen the whole house now and he was getting slightly nervous because he knew Finn was saving his bedroom until last.

He remembered the leg squeeze from earlier and he suddenly had the overwhelming feeling that he should not have followed Finn upstairs. The house was solid, they couldn't hear their parents talking downstairs which meant they couldn't hear them either. He really was alone. What was he doing? He shouldn't be doing this. Not with Finn anyway, it should be Emily. Why wasn't he fucking normal?