Nick has a panic attack on his first night at uni

Hi everyone!! I really liked writing this so I hope you like it too... more Nick angst, hooray haha this sort of follows on from my last one as this is Nick moving into uni accomodation and then having a panic attack because he so far from home and misses Charlie :(

Nick had just finished putting the last of his clothes away. It all felt a bit weird to be so far away from home. His parents had left him earlier on in the day to settle in. They told him to ring if he needed anything and that he should just enjoy settling in and making friends with the people he was sharing the flat with.

It was weird for his parents to actually be together. As if they'd settled their differences just to be there for him which made Nick feel like a burden. He has been fine with just his mum all these years, why was his dad now getting involved? There was a part of him that thought he wanted something, that was usually the case but he had to think positively. Take it for what it was.

The student accommodation was a strange set-up, completely foreign to what he was used to. Four locked bedrooms, one shared kitchen and one shared bathroom. As you walked in through the front door of the flat, you were greeted with the four doors all stood next to each other. Identical, brown wooden doors with a lock on each. Although it was the same set up in each; double bed, desk and wardrobe with shelves on one side, each looked different inside.

All of the new uni students were busy making these outdated spaces their own. Some put up photos of family and friends, others put up posters and set up their desks. As soon as they knew they would all be living together, Josie - one of the girls, had decided to make a group chat with the four of them and asked if they'd want to all meet in the kitchen at 7pm for a few drinks.

It was a good idea and although Nick was nervous, he wanted to show up. Even if it was just him and Josie. He knew the importance of making friends in a place like this and he thought it couldn't be too bad. They were all the same age and probably feeling the same.

Just as Nick was putting a fresh t-shirt on, he got a message from Charlie.

Charlie: How's my uni boyfriend doing??
Nick: Well.... Just unpacked all my stuff. Need to put a photo of us on the wall though, there's a perfect space above the desk

Nick snapped a photo of the bit of wall above the desk and sent it to Charlie. It was 10 to 7 and running on nerves and apprehension, he opened his door, made sure it was locked and made his way down the hall to the small kitchen with the box of Budweiser his dad had brought him. Which was another weird thing to happen. 

The kitchen was basic, a cooker, fridge and some counter space along one wall and a dining table in the middle. Which separated the door and the kitchen itself. Nick opened the box of Budweiser and took a bottle out for himself before putting the rest in the fridge. As he sat down at the table, he realised how quiet it was. You couldn't hear anything from the other bedrooms. Or from the floors above or below them.

Nick opened his beer and took a gulp, a much welcomed drink after the stress of moving all of things here. His mum and dad drove him and helped him start unpacking things but then they had to go to make sure they got back at a decent time. Seeing them out was a weird experience and then once the flat was quiet it hit Nick that he really was on his own here.

None of his own friends, boyfriend or family were here. In a strange way it was refreshing, it meant that he could start again almost. But at the same time it meant that none of his home comforts were around.

"You'll love it, David did" His mum told him and he really hoped that was true because as they left he felt uneasy and that feeling had settled itself to stay.

Now on his own in the kitchen, Nick got up to look out of the window. They were on the 8th floor so the view of the town down below was fascinating. Nick got lost in watching the traffic move along the main road below them and wondered where they were all going. Were there families down there all going on holiday, or business people getting to and from their meetings?