Ben hurts Charlie

As requested by Liza01104 - I hope you like it! I kinda just ran with your idea :)

Charlie got ready for school with a smile on his face, a rare occurrence. It wasn't just school that Charlie usually hated, it was everything else too and for the last few years he'd been living with a negative view on most things. Especially himself.

But today was different. Things were going well. He had a good group of friends and the relationship with his boyfriend, Ben Hope, was going strong. Even if Ben was still really insecure and didn't want to be seen dating him.

That was okay though, Charlie actually quite liked the idea of looking after Ben and helping him come to terms with his sexuality. The pair of them were more than okay when they were alone and that was good enough for Charlie.

Although Ben had sworn Charlie to secrecy about what was going on between them, Tao knew and they were talking about it now on the way into the school gates.

"I know what you mean, but I've just got to give it time" Charlie said, "I think he's just uncomfortable about it at the moment"
"I don't care what he is, I don't want you getting hurt, Charlie" Tao told him, "He's not good for you"

Charlie rolled his eyes. Tao was a good friend, but sometimes he was a bit overprotective which seemed to have only got worse since their friend Elle moved to Higg's.

Tao didn't like change very much, but he was a loyal friend and Charlie appreciated that.

"What are you two arguing about now?" Toby laughed, joining Tao and Charlie as they walked into the school
"We're not arguing. I'm just saying that Ben Hope isn't good for Charlie" Tao said matter of factly, sticking his nose in the air and making his hair swish like it does.
"And I'm saying that he's fine, he just needs more time" Charlie protests
"As long as you're happy, Charlie" Toby smiles, looking back down at his book.

It's a mystery as to how that boy is always reading no matter where he is or what he's doing. His nose is always in a book.

The school day went smoothly and as Charlie excused himself from his friends' table at lunchtime as he always did, he had a big smile on his face. Ben was waiting for him in one of the empty English classrooms down the hall.

Just before Charlie went in, he stood at the door for a second just to admire Ben sitting at a table waiting for him. His chestnut hair hanging over his face as he scrolled through his phone.

He was one of those boys that all the girls fancied and Charlie loved that it was him that was dating him. Even if nobody knew, but even that added to the excitement for him. Ben Hope was his and it was the best feeling ever when Charlie overheard girls all giggling over him.

"Good, you're here" Ben stated, stony-faced
"I missed you" Charlie smiled gidderly, walking over to him. He knew something was up, but was trying to avoid Ben's mood. Something that he had learned to do over the few months they had been seeing each other.

It was just one of those things, Charlie thought. It's just how he is.

"Don't" Ben clenched his jaw, not even bothering to get up like he usually would, "Stop pretending like this is working"

Charlie's smile dropped almost as quickly as his heart, "W-what?" Charlie's mouth was dry
"You heard me - this isn't working, Charlie. You know it, I know it. Stop pretending" Ben's eyes narrowed and his face was stern, a look Charlie's hadn't seen before.

Charlie couldn't speak. It felt like someone had sucked all the air from his lungs and sewn his mouth shut.

"I thought you would have heard by now anyway - that I'm seeing someone else. A girl"

Those last two words felt like a punch in the chest.

"You should probably try it too - liking boys isn't natural, Charlie. We're done"
"Y-you can't just-" Charlie started, but Ben got up and Charlie lost his voice again.
"I can and I am. Don't message me again"

Ben's voice was still so dull, it almost didn't sound like him.

"But everything was going so well, I thought- I thought you really liked me"
"Stop kidding yourself, I never liked you. You were just an experiment. I don't know why you're like this - you're too much"

Ben was walking away now and Charlie's eyes filled with tears. His chest ached and his head was spinning.

"But you said-" Charlie choked on his tears
"I didn't fucking say anything!" Ben snapped, turning around and shoving Charlie so he fell over, "Don't come near me again!"

He couldn't see, but Charlie heard the classroom door slam and the deafening silence surrounded him. His world came crashing down and his chest burned as he cried. Hot tears streaming down his face, he could hardly breathe.

All of this seemed to come out of nowhere, Charlie really thought things were going well and that's what hurt the most. Had he really read everything wrong? Did he really live in his own head too much?

By the time the bell went, Charlie was so lost in thought that the sound of it made him jump. Yet it didn't break through the haze inside his head. So he simply got himself up from the floor and took himself to his last lesson - Art.

He was grateful to walk through the door of Mr Ajayi's classroom. The room had been a sanctuary for him last year and Mr Ajayi was as supportive as ever. So he knew that he wouldn't mind him being a bit absent.

It was art after all, the lesson that you spent most of the time with your head down sketching or painting.

They were halfway through the lesson and Mr Ajayi was making his way around the room. Looking at his students' progress.

"Charlie! Your project seems to be coming along well" Mr Ajayi's cheery voice made Charlie look up but the teacher's face dropped when he saw Charlie's, "What's happened?"
Charlie shrugged and Mr Ajayi raised his eyebrows knowingly.
"I know that face, Charlie. Step outside for a minute"

Charlie sighed but did as he was told, trying his best to ignore the curious faces of everyone else in the class.

Once the classroom door was shut behind them, Mr Ajayi looked at Charlie expectantly.

"Is it your boyfriend?"
'Ex boyfriend" Charlie corrected, his voice wavering ever so slightly
"He broke up with you?"
Charlie just nodded, unable to speak.
"But there's more" Mr Ajayi's eyes narrowed, trying to get to the bottom of what was going on.
Charlie shrugged, "Not really - he just" He hesitated, "He said some things and- and he pushed me over" Charlie's voice broke as a tear fell down his cheek which he wiped away quickly.
"He sounds like an arsehole if you ask me"

His teacher cursing caught Charlie off guard and he laughed, "Yeah, I guess he is"
"Well, you know where I am if you need me okay? Now, do you want to take a minute before you come back in?"
Charlie nodded so Mr Ajayi went back into his classroom, leaving Charlie in the corridor.

It still felt like the world had come crashing down on him, but Charlie felt a bit better for having told someone what happened.

I know it was a little short, but lemme know what you think and pls vote if you liked it - it helps :))