You actually care, don't you P2

For a while, the pair of them sat in silence. Neither of them really knowing what to say but Nick was grateful Charlie was there. It beat sitting on his own.

It wasn't until 5 minutes before the end of lunch that Nick spoke.

"Sorry, I don't really know what to say"
"It's okay, I'll go-"
"No!" Nick tugged at Charlie's arm, stopping him from getting up, "If I wanted you to go I would have kicked you out ages ago"
They both laughed.

"I just meant, I'm sorry I'm not the best company - I'm okay" Nick quickly added, "I just" He trailed off, looking around the empty changing room, "Do you ever just- It's like my head won't shut up" He changed tact, finding it difficult to explain what was going on, "It was like this a couple years ago, my mum took me to the doctors and they told me it was ADHD and maybe anxiety from childhood trauma" Nick laughed at himself, "I mean it's hardly trauma"
"What happened?" Charlie turned slightly to give Nick his full attention
"Mum and dad split up-"
"Oh"
"It wasn't bad" Nick quickly said, trying to diffuse Charlie's reaction, "But I guess me and my dad don't really get on - he moved back to Paris"
"Back?"
"Yeah, he's French but moved here to be with my mum - he regrets it now probably - anyway, I don't see him much and whenever he makes plans to see me he always cancels"
"Oh" Charlie said sadly
"It's fine - I'm fine" Nick reinterates, "It's hardly childhood trauma is it?"
"Well-"
"Anyway" Nick interrupts, suddenly wanting to talk about all of this, "They said I could get pills for it but I said no - I was 14 and thought I could cope with anything and to be fair I did but I feel like it's coming back" He pulled his knees in tighter to his chest, his tone becoming sad again, "And I don't know why"
"ADHD doesn't go away"
"No, I know I just" Nick hesitates,, "I don't know why it's got bad again"
"What's it like?" Charlie asks, the question sounding a bit out of tune with the conversation.

Nick isn't put off by the question and if anything thinks about how to answer it properly, "It's like your brain doesn't shut up. I don't know, it's hard to explain - like now" Nick starts, "I've just been looking at the door and the possibility of a teacher coming in, which teacher it would be and what conversation we would have depending on the teacher. I also thought about what your friends are thinking since you've gone and what you even said to them to leave in the first place"
"What, since we've been sat here?"
"No, in the last minute or so- before that I was thinking about how I'm going to explain any of this to you- can you hear that dripping noise?" Nick was talking quickly now and he was gesturing up to the ceiling
"Slightly-"
"I hear it all the time, it drives me insane. It's so loud -sometimes I can ignore it and sometimes I can't" Nick says, getting up, just as the bell rings, "You didn't have to come" Nick says, sounding a little colder than he meant to "I'm going to make you late to lesson" He adds, trying to justify his cold tone.

The PE block was a little walk to the main school and the bell had already gone. Walking from here to the main building was going to mean a late mark on Charlie's record.

"It's fine" Charlie laughed slightly at Nick's concern, "As long as you're okay"
Nick scoffed, knowing that he was about to say a similar thing to what he said earlier, "You actually care, don't you?"
"I guess so, yeah"

Short, but sweet :) Lemme know if you have any requests x