Fem Nick P2

"Nick!" Charlie called out as he got to the top of the stairs.

Nick had got to the top first, of course, and slammed his bedroom door.

"Nick" Charlie tried again, his voice a little more sincere. Charlie was confused, but most of all he was curious and understanding.

Sarah had overlooked the whole scene from the living room door and had followed Charlie up the stairs.

"Maybe give him a minute, love" She said softly which made Charlie drop his two gift bags at Nick's door and walk back down the stairs to Sarah.

"I'm not mad or-"
"I know, love" Sarah cut him off, "He didn't know how to tell you"

The two walked into the kitchen and Charlie watched as Sarah made two mugs of tea.

"Let's go and sit in the other room" She said with a small smile and Charlie nodded, taking the mug of tea handed to him and following Sarah into the living room.

Nelli immediately got up from her sleeping spot in the corner of the room to give Charlie a warm welcome.

"She probably knows more about him than I do" Sarah laughed, gesturing to Nelli with her free hand.

Charlie smiled at Sarah as he gave Nelli some fuss; scratching behind her ears and patting her side until she settled next to him.

"I'm sorry for how he reacted, Charlie" Sarah sighed as if admitting defeat, "Like I said, I think he's been trying to work out how to tell you for a while"
"It's okay" Charlie muttered, "I'll talk to him in a bit"

They both sipped their tea for a while. Charlie enjoyed having the company of Nelli. It was like having a living teddy bear to comfort you.

As Charlie mused Nelli's company he had an idea.

"Mrs Nelson?"
"Call me Sarah, please love"
"Sarah - sorry - is Nelli allowed in Nick's room?"
"Of course" Sarah let out a small laugh. "She's never out of there usually"

Charlie finished his tea and politely took it to the kitchen.

"I'll see if Nick's ready to talk" Charlie smiled slightly, thankful that Nelli came to his side. He was going to need her.
"Okay, love. I'll be here" Sarah smiled.

As Charlie got to the foot of the stairs, Nelli raced up before him. Stopping at Nick's door and looking up at the handle, waiting to be let in. Charlie smiled and started climbing the stairs after her although there was a fire of nerves building with each step he took.

As he got to the top he noticed the gift bags he'd left there had disappeared. He smiled to himself.

"Nick?" Charlie tried, his voice sounded more unsure than he wanted it to, "Nelli wants to come in"
"Okay" Nick called out, although Charlie couldn't help noticing his voice was a little hoarse.

Without saying a word, Charlie pulled the door handle down and the door opened just enough for Nelli to squeeze through. Charlie hoped she'd provide enough comfort for Nick to let him in too.

For the next fifteen minutes, Charlie went around and around in his head with what he was going to say next. But in the end he resorted to saying nothing because he didn't want to say the wrong thing.

Inside, Nick was sitting crossed legged on his bed with Nelli on his lap. He was holding the framed photo of him and Charlie that Charlie got him for Christmas in his hand. Tears were streaming down his face.

He was battling with himself. As he looked into Charlie's eyes in the photo he knew that this was the boy he loved. He trusted him with all his heart and yet, for some reason, this was going to be a hard conversation to have.