Visiting Tori in hospital

For Heartstopper_fan22 - I hope you like it! I enjoyed writing this... it's one part but a long one part haha

Tw: Hospitals, anxiety and angst (fairly mild though)

The sound of Charlie's shoes hitting the hard floor of the corridor felt like it was echoing louder than it usually did. Maybe it was because usually he'd be walking with hundreds of other students, or maybe it was because the anticipation of what he was being called out of class for was making him more anxious with every step.

He was walking a few paces behind the school receptionist, who just a few moments ago had told him to follow her and take his things with him. She held the door open for him now and as soon as he stepped through his dad shot up from the chair he was sat in.

"Charlie" He spoke, there was an air of concern and worry in his voice which just made Charlie worry even more.
"Dad?" Charlie said as more of a question, furrowing his eyebrows slightly, "What's happened?"
"I've signed Charlie out, I'll leave you to let yourselves out" The receptionist offered a tight smile which Julio tried to return.

"And, again, my condolences" She added before hurrying back to her desk a few feet away.

Charlie swallowed the lump in his throat and turned to his dad, expecting him to explain.

"Let's get outside" Julio muttered, rushing off to the door before Charlie could say anything.
"Dad-" Charlie rushed after him and soon they were both stood in the open air
"Let's get to the car-"
"Dad!" Charlie snapped, raising his voice a little more than he meant to.

It stopped Julio in his tracks, making him turn on his heel to face his son.

"It's Tori, Charlie. She's b-been hit by a car" Julio stammered out, "We need to go - now"

Suddenly, Charlie felt as if an autopilot switch had been turned on in his brain and he found his legs following his dad while thoughts began rushing through his head. Is she dying? How bad was it? Where did it happen- how did it happen? What was the last thing I said to her, does she hate me? Is she okay? Please be okay. Please please-
"Charlie"

Charlie blinked, he was in the hospital car park.

"I don't want to go in"
"Charlie-" His dad started to protest, but Charlie cut him off
"You go, I'll-" His voice wavered so he cleared his throat, "I'll wait in the car"
"Charlie, I think you should come in"
"Dad, please" His voice broke and for the first time since he got in the car, Charlie looked his dad in the eye.

Julio watched Charlie's eyes fill with tears. He knew Charlie hated hospitals at the best of times, he'd usually make himself ill with worry before any appointments he had. He just hated everything about them, the smell, the air of urgency that was constantly pulsing through them and all the worried and upset relatives and friends. They weren't happy places and now, now Tori was in there. She was lying in a hospital bed somewhere and Charlie couldn't face it. Not yet anyway.

"Okay - it's okay, you're okay" Julio kept correcting himself, "I'll-" He hesitated, "I'll go back to your mother, come in when you're ready, okay"
"Mum's in there?" Charlie said, horrified
"Yes, it's okay - you stay. I'll go"

Before Charlie could say anything else, Julio was out of the car and had shut the door behind him. Although before he left, he crouched so he was looking at Charlie through the window, "Call Nick"
Charlie could just make out what his dad had said and he nodded slightly to tell him he'd understood.

Through tears, Charlie watched his dad walk away from the car and into the double doors of the hospital. This was bad. Really bad.

Now he was on his own, Charlie cried. Properly cried. Big, full tears ran down his cheeks and his throat felt scratchy. He knew he had to go in, he had to be there for his sister, but his legs wouldn't move.