Kit Connor: The Family Party

Alright last part and then I'll get onto your requests!! 💕

"You better have not drunk that whole bottle missus" Dad smirked, picking the bottle up to feel how much was left, "I won't have you embarrassing me in front of this lot"
"Obviously I won't" I laughed, "Will they all be going soon?"
"Some have already left. Your mum said she wants everyone out by nine really - gives the cleaners some time to clear up"

He looked at his watch, "A couple more hours - did you want any food, there's platters in the dining room"
"I'll have a look in a bit, thanks"
"You and Kit seem to be getting on well" He wiggled his eyebrows at me, making me laugh
"We are, but not like that - it's nice to have someone to talk to"
"I was the one that suggested to Bill to bring Kit - Bill looks after talent promotion at WME"
"How do you know him?"
"Bill?" Dad asked as if I was stupid for not knowing. He sat down on the lounger Kit was on, "Me and him go way back - we used to work together back when I was a driver for AWS. He was in comms then"

He laughed to himself, thinking back to those days.

"Look at us now" He put his arms up gesturing to the house, "I would never have thought I'd be here - with your mum and have you, my little princess"
I pulled a disgusted face, "Don't call me that" I protested, but dad just laughed.
"Anyway, I'll leave you to it - I expect Kit will be back soon, Bill's just introducing him to some of the other guests"

I smiled as he left and refilled my glass again. It was nice to just enjoy the peace and quiet for a little while and watch everyone else having a good time.

A couple of people came up to me to say hi - mainly people I've known for years who wanted to be polite.

As I sat there on my own though, I couldn't help but think about how strange this scenario was. Mum and dad never bring anyone to these that I would know, it made a nice change.

After a while, Kit came back and he smiled as he came over.

"Sorry, I did not expect that to go as well as it did"
"Don't be sorry - it's not like you have to actually sit with me" I laugh, "Who did you talk to?" I asked, turning to face Kit who had just sat down on the lounger.

He took another beer from the table and opened it, "Basically everyone - it's mad your parents know all of these people"
"I don't know if they know all of them, some are probably plus ones"
"Well even so" Kit took a mouthful of beer, "I think Bill was impressed"
"What with?"
"That I could actually hold a conversation - I think he forgets that I've been in the business for ten years"
"Ten years?!"
"Yeah, well not at this scale but I've been doing the actual job ten years. I know how to hold myself"
"What was the first thing you were in?"
"A show called An Adventure in Time and Space - I was only nine"
"Oh my god, so there's clips of little Kit somewhere!" I laugh and Kit laughed too
"Yep, somewhere there is"

We stay quiet for a minute or two before he speaks again, "But I did struggle a bit when Heartstopper first came out, like with all the attention we got"
"Really?"

I shifted to face him more, sensing Kit get more serious all of sudden. Something told me that he wasn't sure about telling me what he was about to say, maybe he had a bit of Dutch courage.

"Yeah - well it was after a few months, when we went to Paris" He sat with his forearms resting on his knees and the beer bottle shifting from each hand, "I don't know if everyone else felt it but" He trailed off and looked ahead at the now empty pool.

It was getting dark and most people had either gone in or gone home. Everything was that little bit quieter and the mood had shifted.

I had no idea why Kit had chosen me to speak to about this, surely he had other people he could talk to. But if he felt like telling me then I was happy to be a listening ear. So I prompted him, "They probably did"
"Yeah, but it just felt like-" Kit hesitated, "I don't know - it was a lot, but then I kept telling myself that there's thousands of people that would love to be in my position. Like, I was a bad person for feeling those things"
"You're still so young though"
"Yeah, I know - like everyone says, but imagine all those people constantly coming up to. It felt like- like you couldn't move, like every step you took someone was there waiting to say hi and I feel bad for saying it because they didn't know - like they didn't mean for me to feel like that-"
"Like what?" I pressed
"Like I couldn't move - suffocated" Kit said suddenly, thinking of the right word, "I felt suffocated" He glanced at me and then continued looking out over the pool, "And tired but like just tired from people around people"
"Your social battery was empty" I say knowingly, "And you couldn't recharge it"
"Yeah!" He turned to face me now, his knees brushing mine, "You're not actually a journalist right?" His eyes met mine and I could see the panic in them, "Like you're not gonna-"
"No!" I cut him off, "No, I won't tell a soul - no one has to know I even met you tonight" I added and I meant it.