Nick asks you about sh

Tw: self harm

It was the school summer holidays and you and all your friends had decided to go to the beach. Thankfully Elle's mum has agreed to drive you all.

It was such a lovely day of playing in the sea, getting ice creams and eating fish and chips. Towards the end of the day, you'd all decided to go to the arcades along the pier. Everyone else rushed off, but you and Nick stayed back. You'd grown up by the coast and as lovely as the beach and amusements were, you weren't as excited as the others.

"I thought you'd be running off with them" You said to Nick, noticing he was still walking beside you
"It's not like I've never played on coin machines before" He smiled, "And I wanted to speak to you anyway, but it's hard to get you on your own"
"Yeah, sorry I'm so popular" You joke, although you were slightly worried about what it was Nick was going to say.
Nick laughed.
"So, what's up?"
"Well - tell me if I'm completely stepping over the line here but I wanted to ask you about something"

Nick rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

"Okay?" You prompt him to continue
"Well, you know that you've like - I don't know how to-"
"Just say it like it is, I won't mind. Honestly" You smile encouragingly. Whatever it was, it must be really bothering Nick, you'd never seen him look so nervous.

"Okay, well I wanted to ask you - and this stays between us"
"Of course" You chip in
"You've cut yourself before, haven't you?"

You weren't sure what you were expecting Nick to say, but it wasn't that. Not that you minded talking about it, it was something you'd mentioned before. Especially as now you'd been clean for a good few months.

"Yeah? You're not-"
"Oh- no, not me" Nick cut you off, "I just" He hesitated, "I know someone that does and they've told me that they have and I don't want them to do it, obviously, but I don't understand it either and you're like the only person I know, other than them, that's done it so I thought that, like, maybe you could help me understand" Nick trailed off, "If you don't want to talk about it that's fine I just-"
"No, it's okay. Can I just say though that it's so nice of you to want to understand it - whoever this is about is so lucky to have you"

You had a suspicion that this 'person' was Charlie, but you didn't want to say anything. You meant what you said to Nick, it's so good of him to actually ask someone to educate him on it. Instead of just freaking out about it or wanting to help, but doing all the wrong things.

"And they must really trust you to tell you that they've done it"
Nick smiled, "Yeah I guess he does"

You both sat down on a bench on the pier overlooking the sea and you thought for a second about what to say to Nick. How best to describe it and help him understand.

"Has he told you why he did it?" You ask thoughtfully, turning on the bench to look at Nick more, "There's so many different reasons people might do it" You said and went on to explain your reason.

"Sometimes, people can't even explain why they do it. They just do"
"He said it started when he was getting bullied. I guess he was just so down and, I don't know, didn't know what else to do"
"That's what it was kind of like for me, it's like a way to let your emotions out. To do something to deal with everything you're feeling. Now I know what I was feeling was probably anxiety but at the time I didn't know what it was and it was a way for me to deal with feelings I didn't understand"
Nick thought for a second, "I guess that does make sense"
"I'm not saying that's what it's like for him too. Everyone is so different"
"Yeah, I get that"
"For me, now I understand myself better, I know when I need to get out of a situation or what I need to do to deal with what I'm feeling"
"That's so good that you've managed to do that" Nick smiled at you and you returned it.
"But I can only speak about my experiences, so I'm not saying it's the same for him"

You turned to look back out at the sea. To take in the sound of the waves and the way the light glittered off them. You felt good; in this moment you were content and you wanted to savour the feeling.

The pair of you just watched the sea for a minute or so, just happy in each other's company.

"Thank you" Nick turned to you, "For helping me understand it"
You smile and turn to look at Nick, but before you can say anything  you notice Tao and Elle walking over.

"We were looking for you everywhere!" Elle shouts. You and Nick laugh.

"Sorry, we're coming now!" Nick called back and you both stood up
"Nick!" You reached out your arm and pulled Nick back just as he was about to join Tao and Elle, "If you ever want to talk about that stuff again, you can speak to me about it"
Nick turned properly to face you, "Thank you, t-that means a lot actually"
You just smile and start walking towards Tao and Elle to join them in the amusements.

Nick is such a good person isn't he. Also, please gimme your requests. Comment or message me, I need some more ideas 🥰