The Baby P7

Final part! Sorry it took longer than I thought. BTR4ever2022 - Thank you for the idea, I hope you liked it!

Tw: Paramedics, hospitals, shock/ panic, but the ending is lovely 🥰

Just want to preface this by saying, I have never given birth/ witnessed a birth, but I have written this a little 'lighter' than I imagine the experience to actually be

What happened next was a blur of fluorescent jackets and all sorts of machines, but most of all, agony. Charlie had never felt pain like it, it felt like someone was ripping his insides out.

The only thing Charlie could clearly hear sometimes was Nick's voice. Occasionally, Nick would get through the cacophony in Charlie's head and when it did, it helped.

Eventually, they got to the hospital and Nick didn't leave Charlie's side as he was wheeled into the maternity ward. Once they were through the ward doors, Nick could only stand by and watch as a whole group of people swarmed Charlie.

All of them talking in what seemed like a completely different language. What did it mean? Is he okay? Is the baby okay? Nick was so wrapped up in what was happening that it made him jump when Charlie's mum put her hand on his shoulder.

"C'mon, let the Doctor's do their job"

How was she so calm? What did she know that he didn't?

"But- Char-" Nick stammered
"I know, love, but give them some space"
Before Nick could protest anymore, Charlie's dad was at his other side and both Charlie's parents were guiding him out of the ward and to the viewing window next to the door.

"Did they speak to you? The Doctors - how did you know we were-"
"Take a breath, Nick, please" Jane said tentatively, "They called as soon as he got in, our records are on file remember? From all the appointments Charlie had. They said he's gone into labour and that they had brought him here" She explained, "Well done for ringing the ambulance - god, I shouldn't have let him go to the graduation" She put her head in her hands and Julio guided her to a seat just the other side of the corridor.

Nick looked back briefly as Jane cried and Julio comforted her, but then his eyes went straight back to Charlie. Not that he could see him, just a big swarm of people in uniforms. All talking to each other and rushing around.

He was so engrossed in watching that he didn't even know he was biting his lip until there was blood in his mouth.

"Excuse me, Sir?"

Nick turned to see a young man with a stethoscope around his neck. The Doctor. He tried to say something but no words came out so the Doctor asked another question, "Are you the father?"

Nick nodded in response, still unable to get his words out.

"There were some difficulties with the first stages of labour, hence all the rushing around - I apologise for that, it's not how we usually like to do things around here" The man chuckled slightly, as if he found the whole thing amusing.

Nick just furrowed his eyebrows at him.

"Anyway" He cleared his throat, "Charlie and baby are stable now"

Nick glanced back into the ward and, sure enough, he saw that all of the people had dispersed and Charlie was looking right at him.

"So I can see him?" Nick asked desperately, wanting nothing more than being at Charlie's side.
"Yes, of course, but remember this is a stressful time - for everyone - Charlie might not be too-"