Chapter Three: Incompetence

Vittoria's POV
We broke into applause after the show. I really have enjoyed it all and I'm glad I came to see it. I can almost see myself among them, performing gracefully like a swan across the stage! It would be a dream come true.

I stuck my hand into my bag to check my phone. There's a voicemail from Marcelle. My stomach knotted up. I know he must be upset with me. By now Damian and the others must have broken out of their confinement and told on me.

"Excuse me." I moved away from my instructor to a quiet hallway to listen to what he said.

"Vee... sweetheart..." he paused for some time. "Call me, okay? As soon as you get this, call me."

He doesn't sound angry. Perhaps I should now call him. I regret leaving without asking him. I should have at least texted.

"Vee, let's go." Mr Dempsey took my arm. "It's late."

It's well past 9 o'clock at night.

"We are going back to Manhattan."

"At this hour? No. I was thinking we should get a hotel room and rest for the night." His hand settled on the smallest part of my back where Marcelle holds me. It feels intimate.

I felt a sudden cold chill wash over me. I smiled at him to conceal it. "A hotel room sounds good. I just have to make one phone call."

"Do it in the taxi." He insisted and even took my wrist. He stopped a taxi and we got inside. As it was driving away, I didn't have the courage to call him.

Me:
Hi.

I sent the message to him and kept staring at my phone expectantly. Will he respond?

"Did you enjoy the show?"

"Very much Mr Dempsey. Thank you for inviting me." I paused. "Why just me?"

"Because tickets were limited. I only had one extra ticket and I decided to choose my best student. That is you." He slipped his finger under my chin and smiled at me warmly.

"Thank you."

My phone chimed with a response from Marcelle.

Marcelle:
Give Rocco a call, tell him where you are. He will pick you up.

Me:
I know you must be upset.

No response, means he is.

"I would like you to take extra classes. Stay later after classes at least three days a week and I'll take that time to pay extra attention to you."

I'm not sure if Marcelle will pay more. The fee is already expensive. He paid for the year. He wants me to see it through.

"How much will it cost?"

"Nothing." He smiled at me. "I'm just nurturing your skill. Do you know how much potential you have? Dint waste it."

"Thank you." I paid attention to my phone again. "I must call.

I called Rocco's number. It didn't ring long. "Hello!" He sang from the other end. "This habit of running away is becoming a problem. What can I do for you?"

"He said I call you."

"Yes he did. Where are you?"

"In Sydney."