Chapter Forty Nine: The Parking Lot Beef

Marcelle's POV
Dear dad,

Gio told me this is not the correct format for writing a letter and I stepped on his foot so hard he cursed me. He still kept correcting everything I wrote! Honestly I don't care about formats or those formality nonsense. I just wanted a way to apologize to you. A way that I won't mess up.

First things first, I love you. I love you BIG TIME! But sometimes I love mommy more and that is because she does not expect much from me. It's hard to be like Juan Carlos, all perfect... I'm not perfect. I'm a mess and sometimes I shock myself but I am also not good at admitting it when I'm wrong. So that's why I refuse to apologize.

But since I want us to be friends again, I have to apologize. I'm so sorry for my bad attitude ever since mommy left. It's been hard for me to adjust to these changes. I'm sorry about nonna's ring and how I got Vee in trouble. I'm sorry about siding with mommy during the custody hearing. I'm sorry about leaving to go stay with mommy. I'm sorry about everything that has pissed you off especially they way I treated Vee when I came back. I apologized to her and we are okay. Ask her. I'm not lying. I haven't done anything to offend her since.

So... about the boarding school, I don't expect you to change your mind. But I'll miss you when I'm away. I'll think of you often. I love you.

Again I'm sorry.

Your piccola,
Neri.

Is she being genuine?

Why is this the first thought crossing my mind?

Because I don't trust her. I don't trust her one bit. Just like that? She's sorry? Really?

I folded the letter I received days ago and tucked it into the inner pocket of my jacket. When I found it on my office table, with a smiley face on it I knew it was her. When we write each other notes we always include a smiley face. I was hesitant about reading it. I wasn't sure what to expect. I eased the car into the busy street. I hate California traffic. I would have taken the chopper but Vee doesn't like it. Concessions. Concessions. Concessions.

"Well? Will you still send her away?" Vee asked me. She has observed me reading the letter.

"If I don't, she will never take me seriously. She's going."

"Marcelle." She gripped my knee. "Per favore, have some mercy."

"Per favore, let me do the parenting on this one. I have dealt with her mother, I know what I'm working with."

Vittoria sighed rather audibly. She's about to start arguing. We are going to a school play. Nerina's to be specific. Their school is putting up an end of summer recital. She plays the cello like Marcella did when she was younger. I used to carry the cello for her. I used to hate it.

"But is it fair to compare her to her mother? I'm not like Vienna!"

"You haven't exhibited any traits that say you are. People are a product of either nature or nurture. For Nerina, the manipulation runs in her blood as strongly as she was nurtured to be so. I'm not being unfair. It's true." I told her firmly to end the conversation.

I can still feel her gaze on me. It's strong. This girl doesn't know when to quit. She doesn't apply this stubbornness to what she wants for the wedding. My sister's are planning her wedding

"People change."

"People don't change."

"They do! Sinners turn around-"

"Vittoria, I'm not remotely religious do don't force that on me. People pretend to be whatever they need to be to get whatever they want. They do not change. They only suppress their nature."