Chapter Twenty Four: Untold Secrets Part 2

Vittoria's POV
Her eyes looked over me. I didn't pack any clothing that is pleasing to her. I only packed what Marcelle likes and I'm also beginning to like. This dress is short. The heels on my feet only elongate my legs more and I can't help but tug the neckline to hide the little cleavage. Her eyes are all over me in an accusing way. I didn't plan to see her, otherwise I would dress accordingly. I came straight here from Napa because I feel it's something I need to put behind me.

"Well..." She sighed. "...you look... different."

There are nuns in the compound looking my way. A few of them are familiar. We were supposed to take our vows together but I ran away. Now they look at me like I'm lesser and others are judging me. Only one is trying to wave at me but my hand feels heavy at my side.

I have become one if those worldly women she always warmed me not to become. There is even a slick car behind me to add to it.

"What did you want to say?" I got to the point. I'm nervous. "...over the phone when you called."

"Vittoria, I want things to go back to the way they were when you lived here... before you met him."

Is she mad? Things won't go back that way! How can they when I have fallen in love? When I have embraced this kind of life?

"And what were things like before him?"

"You were a simple beautiful girl!" Her eyes lit up. "You didn't put these things on your face. You didn't dress in these degrading clothes that make you look like a sex object. You were a good girl. Decent and pure. You were simple."

"With little to nothing. I was that girl from Napoli who saw the world from the little window of a shoe box apartment. I was naive. I believed in you. I had so much faith in you and almost every decision I made came down to what you would think of me." I paused. Her eyes are no longer bright. "And then you cast me out and you took that little window with you. I was left with a much much bigger window at the top of the world where the view is different. People are different. I am different. I cannot go back. I'm only moving forward."

"I left because you told me you slept with him!"

"Si." I shrugged.

"You lied. He was here and he assured me he has never had sex with you. So you see?" She took my hands. I remember her warm embrace. I remember it very much. This woman was like a mother to me. "You can still come back. I'll give you the apartment. I will see to it that you get another opportunity to take your vows-"

"I don't want to!" I pulled my hands free. "I dint want any of it. Even if we haven't had sex, it's only a matter of time."

"Vittoria-"

"I love him! He loves me! He takes care of me! I have no one else in this world who has loved me the way he does!"

"That hurts my feelings." She sighed. "Because I have known you much longer. I have taken care of you through the years. Why would you think that he is the only one who loves you? I was strict because I was protecting you. He is liberal minded and he spoils you because he wants to sleep with you. He will do anything for your virtue even play the Angel when he's not! Do you understand who you are entangled with? This is the godfather of the Mafia you silly little girl! He is darkness personified deep in the works of the devil and you are prey that he will devour ruthlessly and them dump you! You will have nothing at that point."

"He l-loves me." I fought the tears in my eyes. "That is the only thing I care about. I don't care about what he does as long as he comes home to me. I cannot change him. He is what he is."

She narrowed her eyes at me. "Including a liar."

"What are you talking about?"

She smiled to herself. "It's nothing. You go on living with your head in the clouds. When you fall, you know where to find me. I'll welcome you with open arms."