Chapter Thirty Six: Little Diavolo

Marcelle's POV
It's ironical how I used to look forward to going to Manhattan because I got to see Vee. Now I'm dreading it because I have to leave her behind. In a way, I want her to stay and figure out her relationship with my kids without me. I have never left them alone with her so I'm a bit anxious to know how that will work out. I hope it will work out.

"There you are." She came in carrying a laundry basket. "Why do you have that?"

She keeps herself busy. Her ambition to join a ballet group died out after th deceased instructor tried to take advantage of her. I am not in a hurry to ask her what her plans are.

"I'm helping." She smiled fleetingly.

I'm not imagining it. Something is wrong with her. Something is wrong between us. Seven sisters later, I can understand th unspoken language of women.

"I won't get in the way of that but I'll say you don't have to. We have enough servants."

"How many days will you be gone?"

"Three." I answered.

"I'll miss you. Let me help you." She came over and started folding some of the clothes. She's doing it all wrong. I'm fighting an urge to redo. We hav different ways of doing things. The hook of my hangers face the inner side of the closet. Hers meticulously face the opposite side. We fold things differently. We both color code so that's a plus. She's not messy. She's organized to the tee. But when we do things differently it's different.

"I'll miss you too. About last night-"

"It's okay." She cut me off sharply.

"It's awkward." I stopped folding. She's avoiding my eyes. "It feels awkward right now. Do you want to talk about it?"

"No."

"I want to talk about it so we will talk about it." I have noticed that Vee can be aversive when she doesn't want to address something. Up to know, she's not talking about her mother or Emilia. Even when I ask she changes the subject. "You look upset."

"Signor, I have nothing against your children. Your sons are amazing but that girl... she's not a good person. I hate to say it but you ask me and I say it. I don't like her and I don't want to try. That is what is wrong. She was gone. Life was easier and now she's back. Why? Why is she back?"

I think Nerina and Reina had a fall out and typical of Rei she wasn't eager to fix it. They are both hard headed and egotistical.

"Okay." I sighed. "She's... she's her mother's daughter so... I don't blame you. I'm sorry about last night."

"I was ready." She told me. "I wanted us to make love and she came out of nowhere and you changed suddenly."

"I didn't change. I couldn't ignore her."

"You could have told her to go to bed and you come to me. I had your attention first last night, didn't I?"

"You did but she's my little girl."

"Ay no!" She waved her finger at me. "Children are innocent in their ways. This one is not a little girl but a scheming person. Mi dispiace. I'm upset. You slept in her room. I heard you coming in early in the morning."

I fell asleep on the armchair, holding her. It was not intentional. It just felt good to have her back.

"Sometimes I'll have to be a father before I'm anything to you. It will happen and when it does, it will mean a lot if you understand."

Her brown eyes narrowed at me. "I have been understanding since we started dating Marcelle. I want to come first." She zipped my bag. "I feel Nerina and I won't get along. I'm just telling you that this time she will not belittle and bully me. I will stand up for myself because I love it here. I belong here with you and your sons. She will not drive me away."