Chapter Thirty Seven: It's Personal

Reina's POV
The General used to say that in order to gain some things, a lot of sacrifices have to be made. I have sacrificed Marcelle, my children and anyone who was in my way in order to lay claim to something so familiar.

Power.

The whole idea of marrying the godfather was foreign to me. After I watched Marcelle's rage, I didn't want him as much as I did. But one thing led to another and several children later, I couldn't tell the difference between loving him and loving what he was. That's right. What he was. He passed on the power. Now he's just an ordinary boring man.

I didn't realize it until Renée asked me if it's him I want or the power. Honestly, when the families voted that I get stripped of the power I had, it felt like I lost an arm, my right arm. I can't live like this. An ordinary existence is boring. I find myself reminiscing about my adventures with Addie. I miss Marcelle asking for my opinion about things he had to decide on. I miss being feared. I don't like this. That is why I have made the necessary sacrifices to attain power. I'm playing the long game for now. But it must pay off.

"Are you going to talk mami?" Rafa asked me in his usual deep throaty voice.

"Tequila?" I offered him a glass.

"I don't drink."

"Ah! My bad." I gulped down both glasses. "What was your question again?"

"What are you doing with Diego Fernandez?"

"It would be inappropriate and uncomfortable for you to know the details." I smirked at him.

He looks annoyed.

"I never liked you. Then you grew on me. Now I am back to not liking you."

"Who told you I give a fuck about what people think of me? Ask anyone who knows me well. I don't live to please anyone."

"And it's that attitude that ended your marriage. That is attitude that has cost you your children and it is that attitude mami, that will get you killed."

"Thanks for your wise words. Use th door."

He scoffed. "This is the big leagues. There are no kitty gloves. We fight ugly and we fight dirty to the end."

"I think it is Marcelle you should be telling that. He pulled his punches  and he never likes to get his hands dirty. He wasted his power on diplomacy. He is the reason Juan was gone for a   long time."

"And Juan came back on his own. Even you didn't aid that return so don't stand there and claim any victory. Marcelle is my friend. Don't talk shit about him. Give up this poisonous dream and go back to your family. Ask for forgiveness-"

"For what?" I shouted at him. "What forgiveness? For having my own mind? For wanting something more? I will not apologize for that. I will not beg for his love because I don't want his love."

"Then what do you have against Vittoria?"

"Nothing."

"There's a hit on her and I bet all my net worth that you are behind it."

I turned away. Any day now, when Diego finds it fit, that stupid little girl will be dead.

"So?"

"So you are."

"I dint know what you're talking about Rafa."

"If you don't want him back then let him go! Let him be happy with another woman!"

"I would rather watch him suffer!" I screamed.

"It's wonderful that you no longer restrain yourself." He tucked his hands in the pockets of his pants. "But these games you're playing with Diego Fernandez will end badly. This is not the Mafia. This is the cartel." He stepped away. "Mamita, I told you."