Chapter Twenty Five: In Marseilles Part 1

Marcelle's POV
"As promised." I gave him a quick hug but he held on, refusing to let go. I heard him sigh audibly, the kind of sigh that is nostalgic. I sank into his embrace, allowing him to have the moment. I think it's okay since we haven't seen each other in a while.

When he was ready, he let go. His warm hands held my face. His serious blue eyes still hold the same seriousness but there's that familiar warmth of the man I first called my father.

"Tu m'as manqué." He smiled at me, with glistening eyes.

"Tu m'as manqué aussi." I pressed my forehead against his. "How have you been?"

He blinked away the tears. "Getting old. There is still no elixir for immortality." He chuckled. "Let's sit down. Sit down." He insisted that before Vee and I get to the chateau, I must meet him privately. "How are things? Your young daughter?"

Everyone must have heard about Nerina's theatrics. "She left with her mother." I answered. Nerina didn't even hesitate. She packed up and by evening, she was gone. My heart shattered when I watched her leave with Reina. My sisters forced me into an online chat room and they consoled me in the best way they know how; bringing up embarrassing childhood stories that made me laugh. I gave Gio the same option but he didn't leave. He is also not speaking to me and I'm not eager to find out why.

"Don't take it personally. Children pick the parent they relate to the most."

"It's not any easier." My eyes shifted around the cafe. We are at the corner table, his favorite table in this cafe. "It feels like I lost."

"We all lose sometimes. It's the balance in life. You win some, you lose some. Where is the good catholic girl?"

"At the hotel." I chuckled. "What did dad say to you?"

Sinclair started laughing. I think they have thoroughly discussed my relationship with my Vee.

"A lot. But my biggest question is how is she still a virgin? How?"

Because my patience is yet to run out.

"Let's just say she is a good catholic girl."

"For now." He smiled ruefully. "Don't leave France when she's still in that state. I believe as much as there is love in a relationship, there is also give and take."

"I'm not going to rush it. When she's ready, she will come to me." And this time unlike all the other times, I will not decline.

"Are you sure about her?"

"As sure as I need to be at this moment. Do you have concerns?"

"Of course I do. You have hit the kind of age young gold diggers look for. You look good and your pockets are deep. Is she the kind?"

"No."

"I know you're not the kind to want casual arrangements. So are you sure? Because if she uses you, my face will be the last thing she sees. With Reina it's complicated. She's Bruce's daughter. I can't do anything. But this girl, she better not hurt you."

I'm moved by his need to protect me. When Pascal and Maia got married, he threatened Pascal, his own son. He told him that if he ever hurts Maia there will be consequences to pay. I can't help but feel special right now.

"Meet her and then judge for yourself. She's honest and kind. You'll love her. She will be here soon."

"Don't get your hopes up." He shrugged. "You know how picky I am with what I choose to like."

"I know."

"I was thinking a few of us should go to Cape Town."

"The house with a view of the park?"