Chapter Thirty: Home Is Best

Nerina's POV
"Are you okay? You kinda zoned out." My brother asked me. I smiled at him, just a small smile.

I'm not happy here.

I was so excited when daddy said I could go with mom but it's not what I expected. She was fun the first few days. She was always around. She was always with me and then she stopped. No more fun times. She comes home in the morning hours and sleeps in through the day. When she wakes up, she gets dressed and leaves again.

"No I'm not."

"What's wrong?"

"I don't like it here."

It's hard for me to admit it to anyone else but I tell Gio everything. Juan has Gian. Nicolò has Marco and I have Gio. He understands me.

"Why not? I thought you were having fun."

"It's not fun. It was but not anymore. Mommy is never here."

"Is it now that you're noticing?"

"What do you mean?"

"Dad works days. Mom works nights because of the clubs. She comes back in the early morning hours and then she sleeps till noon or later in the evening. Press repeat. Didn't you notice when we were in Sicily?"

"I hate to admit it but there are a lot of things I didn't notice about her. Like how she's always on her phone? You know when we speak to daddy he pays full attention. He actually stops what he's doing and he listens. I miss him so much but I'm too ashamed to ask him to pick me up."

I wiped the tears that fell from my eyes. I turned my back to the laptop so that Gio doesn't see. I have everything I want here... a big room with a view of the ocean, all the gadgets and dressed and shoes... but I'm not happy.

I composed myself and faced my brother. He gave me a small smile. "How are things there?"

"Normal-ish. Dad is a happy pill. Like if you want something, this is the time to ask him. Vee is living here now. Dis I tell you that?"

"She is?" I frowned. "Did daddy allow me to leave so that she can move in? Did she get my room?"

"Dad said your room should be left untouched. She sleeps with dad."

I made a face. "What is she like? Do you like her? Do you get along?"

He adjusted the laptop to bring it closer to his face. He has green eyes just like me. We are the different ones. "I know we agreed to fight for mom to be back with dad and we agreed we will never approve of any other woman. But dad is happy. It's hard not to like Vee, she's really nice. I don't hate her and it's easier to like her so that's what I'm doing. Look Neri, mom and dad are over. He has moved on. So it's either you get stuck on having this delusional expectation that they will get back together or you move on and accept reality. Just tell him you want to come home. He won't say no."

"Thanks Gio. I have to go."

"Tell mom I said hello. Ciao." He ended the video chat.

I reached for my phone. I picked dad's number. It is easier to text him.

Me:
Hi daddy?

I press sent.

Me:
I miss you.

I press sent.

Both messages have been delivered. I hope he responds soon while I still have the heart to tell him I want to come home.

Daddy:
Ciao piccola. I miss you too!
Do you still like bugs bunny? I don't want to feel stupid but I saw a bugs bunny  stuffed toy and I got it for you. Tell me you're not too grown for it.