Chapter Ten: Untold Secrets Part 1

Vittoria's POV
I have been sitting in comfortable silence with Signor Tancredi. I served him tea and we sat quietly outside on the rooftop garden. Marcelle has the only house in this building with a rooftop garden and a pool. It feels like a mansion in the sky. But often empty.

"All this to yourself?" He asked me to end the silence. "You struck good with Balotelli and I don't just mean his deep pockets. He's a good man."

"Si he is." I agreed.

"What is wrong? You have everything a woman could want. What is missing?"

I wiped the corner of my eyes. The wind keeps blowing my hair towards my face. I reached for it to tie it into a knot. "Money is not everything. I have been happier in my little house in Naples. He's barely here and sometimes I do understand. Sometimes it upsets me. Reina was here."

"I saw her looking like a cat that has had cream. Devil that one. Very evil." He sighed. "What did she want?"

"Ay Signor! I cannot involve you in small domestic matters."

"I don't mind!" He laughed and took my hand. "You can tell me anything."

"Well... she wants him back."

Signor Tancredi burst out laughing. All of a sudden this hopeless situation became funny and we laughed together. He laughed until he dried the corners of his eyes. "Is she insane? How will he take her back after she has dragged him through the mud? He will have to be an idiot to take her back."

"She treated him badly. The custody was ugly enough and she thinks he will forget. Then another woman she answered his phone. I dint know who she us but her voice... I don't know. Now that I think it, she sounds familiar. Then at the fashion show. Dio!" I covered my face. "They would not stop Signor! They are like house flies, stalking him even when he chases them they follow."

"It's expected. He's a great catch and he picked you. Take confidence in that. I can speak for him. He's an honorable man. Otherwise I wouldn't have allowed Nicko to take you out of my home."

"What do you mean?" He moved closer to me. It looks like he wants to tell me something. "Signor Tancredi, what do you mean?"

"He was picking a bride for his son. He asked me if I have any suggestions and I mentioned you."

Now it makes sense. It all makes sense. How I'm the one, the one will least experience and he chose me to go work in his house. It explains why Signora was surprised to see me and why she was against it. It explains why he challenged Signora when she dismissed me. He told me to stay. "You out me here."

He held one side of my face. "You deserve the best and he is by far the best. Things may not seem that way now but when he settles into his role you'll see."

I gently removed his hand from my cheek. "Dio! Why? Why you help me Signor? Why are you here?" I stood up suddenly. "He's not here. Why are you here?"

He stood up too. "I'm here to talk to you."

"About what?"

"Vittoria, my dear," he pushed some of my hair away for m my face when the knot collapsed. "I uh... I... I care about you very much. Ever since you came into my home, I have felt very protective over you and I..." he laughed softly. "... I just want you know you have a... If you ever need anything, I'm always a phone call away. Just ask and I'll do anything for you."

"Grazi. I did not expect... thank you." He opened his arms to hold me.

I feel very confused. What does this mean?

"I believe I have overstayed my visit. If you'll please allow me to be on my way?"

"You can never overstay."