Chapter Fifty: Too Many Hands

Vittoria's POV
I find joy in little accomplishments. That is why I love to work. It's just these days, that work has changed. I'm no longer scrubbing floors and working myself to the bone. I have time for hobbies. I'm learning new things. But I still enjoy to work.  I wouldn't ask someone to do something for me if I can do it myself.

Even before Marcelle proposed, I would dream of my wedding. In my dreams, I'm marrying him in a church, a cathedral... one of those historical ones in Italy. My favorite one is the basilica de san lorenzo in Florencia! I have never been there but I can already picture myself in it, the walls and grandeur if it as vivid as the pictures I have seen. I'm wearing a beautiful white gown with a long train. In my dream we are stupidly happy, the kind of happiness that is infectious, making our guest happy too. In my dream, I have the perfect wedding.

But what is the perfect wedding? How is it achieved? I have been reading bridal magazines and watching shows to see these weddings, especially the grand ones that my soon to be sisters in law think I should have. I don't mind one or two expensive things but not everything!

There's more to a marriage than a wedding. Those are my silent thoughts. 

Where to start is not the problem. Marcelle's sisters are all over me. They started in Corfù. Oh Corfù! I am smiling like an idiot! This ring on my finger is something beautiful! Completely out of this world! People are talking about it. Even Sherry video called me to ask to see it. She squealed when she did. She said that the pace has already been set by the engagement ring and the place he chose to propose. Sherry also said that having a small insignificant wedding would be underwhelming. Since Marcelle already set the bar high, there is nowhere else but the sky. Will I ever get used to his world?

But back to the wedding, Maia sent me a checklist. I must admit it is very detailed. Nothing is missing. She is just as meticulous as her older brother. But their way, as helpful as they are trying to be is not my way.

They don't think a cathedral will work. Maia was blunt about it. She said no one takes the devil to church. She referred to her brother as the devil. I understand what she meant by that. He will never enter a church. It forces my mind to stay fixed on the conversation I had with Marcelle. He said that I don't know him. It's troubling not to know someone and yet I'm about to vow my whole life to this someone. Five weeks and three days to the wedding. He hasn't talked about it. Not even once. What did he mean?

"If I ever get married, I'm not wearing white." Nerina informed me. She's wearing a uniform. It's a navy blue pleated skirt, long black socks that reach her knees, a white blouse with a blue ribbon. "How do I look? Fabulous or fabulous?"

She reminds me of those girls who used to go to private schools when I was younger. They would visit the orphanage and make fun of us and yet pretend to be Pius when the nuns would look their way. I didn't go to a fancy school. Emilia was my teacher in almost everything. What she couldn't teach, she found someone to teach me.

She put a smile on my face. "Fabulous." I answered.

One more reason not to forgive Vienna.

"Three more days and I'm gone. I'll probably miss the wedding. I guess it's for the best." Sh shrugged.

Marcelle refusing to compromise on the boarding school broke her heart but again, he is her father and I will not meddle.

"Why do you say so?" I asked her. I pulled a chair out for her to sit next to me.

"Because I am not sure that I want to see him marrying someone else. I'm still biased to my mother. I can't help it."

"I understand." I studied the endless spread of magazines in front of me. "I thought I knew myself but I can't even decide on flowers, let alone colours."