5. Threatened

The next few weeks were amazing. Thisalee and I quickly became some sort of item, even though school was trying to keep us apart. We managed to go out on a few dates here and there, and there was a lot of texting going on between us.

She was everything I had ever wanted and everything I never thought I wanted. She was exciting and interesting and weird and gorgeous, and I couldn't stop thinking about her. Every time I saw her smile, I lost my ability to speak. Every time she touched me, I lost my ability to function. I never said it out loud, but I just knew she was The One. It was like we had this connection that was writhing in pain when she wasn't next to me and singing when she was.

I didn't go get her name tattooed across my chest so I wouldn't jinx it or freak the crap out of her, but I just knew I was meant to be with her for the rest of my life. It was a scary feeling as well, and there were moments when I was questioning my sanity, wondering if I was dangerously attached to her or something. I couldn't help but keep an eye on myself every time I was with her, but I wasn't giving myself any creepy murderer vibes, so I assumed I was just head over heels because of her.

Three weeks after our first date, I grabbed my things after the last lecture and headed out the doors with the rest of the students. I saw Pretty Boy down the hall, leaving the room right next to ours, but I didn't give him a second thought. I was in a hurry to go get changed since I was meeting up with Thisalee in an hour, so we could grab a bite before we had to go our separate ways.

I didn't get to take even ten steps away from the door when I felt someone grabbing my arm and forcefully turning me around.

"You stay the fuck away from Thisalee!" Pretty Boy hissed, pointing his index finger at me like that would've made his words seem more threatening.

I grabbed his wrist and yanked myself free from his grip. Even though the guy was much bigger than me, I felt confident enough to stand my ground.

"It took you three weeks to come to tell me that?" I scoffed at him. "Sorry, but she's not into you."

"She's mine!" he growled, stepping so close I could feel his breath on my face. "You will regret stealing her from me," he added in a threatening mutter.

I didn't even blink under his angry gaze. For some reason, I couldn't feel fear.

"You're not worth my time," I told him calmly and turned around to walk away.

"You will regret it! You hear me?! Fucking lambs like you don't deserve a girl like her!" he yelled after me, but I ignored him. I knew it pissed him off even more, but I didn't care.

An hour later, I stood outside the girls' dorm, waiting for Thisalee. When she came out the door, she was only a few minutes late. When she spotted me, her face lit up in a smile, making me melt on the spot.

"Hey! How was your day?" I asked as I approached her, but I didn't get a reply at first. She stopped right in front of me and planted a kiss on my cheek, making me forget what I just asked.

We hadn't kissed yet, and this was the first time I got a kiss on the cheek at the beginning of our date. I always got a goodnight's kiss, but this was the first hello kiss.

"It was great," she chirped, her cheeks turning a bit more red.

I was so head over heels for that girl... I couldn't figure out how to talk, and her stare didn't make it easier. It was only after she turned to look away when I finally got my voice back.

"Should we get going?" I asked, congratulating myself for managing to say a full sentence.

We had an amazing time together, even though it lasted only for a couple of hours. We were both drowning in schoolwork, so we had to return to the dorms sooner than either of us wanted. We did take the long way back home so we could spend a few more minutes together. The best part was that she suggested it, so I knew the wish to spend time together was mutual.

Once the dorms were already in our view, Thisalee suddenly stopped speaking in the middle of her sentence. She took a deep breath, smelling the air, and frowned.

"What?" I asked when she turned her head around with a suspicious look on her face.

"I thought... Never mind," she said and conjured a smile on her face.

"You have to admit that was odd," I noted.

"I just thought I smelled something familiar. A perfume," she said, but she spoke the last part too hastily, making me suspicious. It was clear she didn't smell perfume. Besides, there were no shops or other people around.

I decided to let it go when she wrapped her arm around mine. The warmth of her body made me forget almost everything as we continued walking. I could smell her perfume, and it was phenomenal. Our speed slowed down with each step we took, but the dorms were getting still too close, too fast. I let out a heavy sigh after we crossed the final street before the yard, and then we were already there.

"I had a lot of fun today," Thisalee spoke as we stopped in the middle of the pathway that led up to her dorm.

"Me too," I told her with a smile.

"Stupid school, right...?" she muttered.

"Yeah. I'd love to spend much more time with you," I told her, feeling brave.

"Me too," she whispered.

She still hadn't let go of my arm, and I really didn't want her to. At that moment, I was ready to drop out of college so I didn't have to waste time on studies, no matter how irrational that would've been. I just wanted to be with her...

Then, all of a sudden, she got up on her toes and kissed me. On the lips. I froze for a moment, but then she moved her lips over mine. I kissed her back, enjoying the moment to the fullest. And when she parted our lips, leaving mine cold, I already missed her breath on my face.

"You're a good kisser, Rayleigh Abner," Thisalee purred with hazy eyes, giving me the warmest smile.

"Heh," I managed to cough up, giving her probably the stupidest grin. Who could've blamed me? I just kissed Thisalee! My brain was completely fried at that moment!

Her eyes suddenly flickered, and her smile faded. She looked at something behind me. I turned around and saw Pretty Boy glaring at us across the street. He looked awfully mad. I sighed and ignored him as I turned my attention back to Thisalee.

"He's got some beef with me," I muttered.

"Has he tried to talk with you?" She frowned, looking angry all of a sudden.

"Not before today – he told me to stay away from you," I explained.

"You've got to be kidding me!" she hissed, looking like she was about to storm to him, but I stopped her.

"Let's just ignore him," I suggested. "I'm not afraid of him."

She looked at me like I was dumb. "You don't know him. He's a massive dickhead and I'm worried he'll do something to you."

I glanced at Pretty Boy, who was still staring daggers at me, but he was keeping his distance. For now.

"To be honest, if I ever get into a fair fight with him..." I muttered, turning my attention back to Thisalee, and smirked. "I'll definitely lose."

"This isn't funny," she said. "You could get seriously hurt."

"Do I have to file for a restraining order?" I asked.

She took a deep breath, shaking her head. "You humans..." she mumbled almost too quietly for me to hear.

"What?"

"You men," she said louder. "I know you have the balls of a bull, but you really need to be careful around him."

"Balls of a bull?" I repeated, feeling awfully mighty about myself.

"You're not taking this seriously," she breathed out, stepping away from me with sadness in her eyes.

"No, wait! Please!" I said, taking her hand in mine. "I promise to be careful. I'll try to hang out with Ryder more often. I don't think Pretty Boy could stand a chance against him."

"Now that's where you're right," she said and gave me a smile. "Just... be careful, okay?"

"Okay," I promised, earning my second kiss.