26. Friend

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

I swallowed my disappointment when I went to put my boots on. I really wanted to see the wolf today, but it was starting to look like he wasn't coming this time. I heard footsteps coming towards me, and soon enough, Mrs. Bundt stepped in the entrance hall.

"Remember, don't stay up too late. Do you have your keys? And the phone?"

"Yeah," I said, standing up.

"You need a scarf," she said, and went to get one for me. "Do you have gloves?"

"Right here," I said, pulling them out of my pockets.

She nodded in approval and wrapped the thick scarf around my neck. "Oh – I almost forgot..." She said and pulled something out of her pocket. "Here."

She gave me twenty bucks. It was my weekly allowance that I usually got every Sunday as a reward for good behavior during the past week.

"But I've been skipping classes," I said with a frown, giving it back to her. "You know that, right?"

"I know," she said, and gave me a stern look. "Try not to do it again, okay?"

She slid the money into my pocket anyway. I felt so bad at that moment. I didn't deserve it. "Why aren't you mad about it?" I asked.

She let out a small sigh. "I know you've had it rough the past few weeks. I still wish you'd talk to me about it, but I do have an idea what's going on. I actually have a friend..." she trailed off, staring at me in the eyes for a good while. "No... Never mind. We'll talk when you are ready, okay?"

"About what?"

She gave me a smile. "Don't worry about it. But you better hurry now, or you'll be late."

I really wanted to stay and find out what she was talking about. Did she know about Jack? I had the feeling she wouldn't tell me anything just yet.

"Late from what?" I asked as I opened the door.

"Your friend is almost here," she said with a wink. "Have fun!"

I turned to look at her, but she was already walking back into the living room. Damn... she thought I was seeing a friend every night... I stepped outside and closed the door. I walked down to the street and tried to decide which way to go. I couldn't feel the wolf anywhere.

I made my way to the forest and stopped to wait for a moment. Then, when I was about to give up hope, I could feel him. I smiled, when I hurried past the trees deeper into the forest, and then, only a few moments later...

"Hey," I spoke quietly, when the big, black wolf stepped out of the shadows, wagging his tail at me. "How are you doing?" I asked, when the wolf stopped in front of me, shaking the snow off his thick fur. He let out a playful groan and sniffed my hands, when I reached out to pet him. "Is that so?" I chuckled, and scratched him behind his ears.