8. Jacket

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

After getting overwhelmed by seeing Jaden so angry, I didn't go to the next class. I stayed there, sitting against a wall close to the back entrance. People passed me by but no one even looked at me. This time I was glad I was invisible to them. Being attacked by my worst memory so soon after being attacked by Jack had left me weak and brittle. Jaden hadn't even been that angry, and in normal situation I could've dealt with his annoyance pretty easily, but since I was still overwhelmed by Jack... that happened.

Leaning my head back against the wall, I closed my eyes and focused on breathing. Before I knew it, the period ended, and the loud echoes of the dozens of bells almost tore my ears apart. My fear was growing worse again. If I couldn't get up from the floor, it would be only a matter of time before Jack would find me.

"...you better spend every second of the day two steps behind him. If you don't, I'll disfigure you in ways even your own mother can't recognize you ever again..."

I had to get up. I had to get up. I had to...!

I had no idea how I did it, but I was back on my feet. I couldn't stop shaking, but I was walking. The things I saw in front of me shifted from classmates having fun to angry gazes and big fists that weren't really there, but in my memories.

I was going to find Jaden and do what Jack wanted, so I could go back living the life of an unimportant mouse. I couldn't take it any longer than that. Every time I thought I had fought back Jack's angry face, and the two hits he had given me, a loud sound or a fast movement too close to me nearly sent me panicking again.

Panic attacks... Those were the reason I couldn't be fostered. Those were the reason why I was never even considered to be adopted. Who would want a faulty child like me? I mean, I was doing better than a few years ago, but... This was a good reminder that I was not over it. That day...

I saw a flock of red hair, long, blonde curls and a mohawk that was starting to lose the battle against gravity. I finally managed to push everything aside just enough that I could be considered a sane person. I had something to focus on now. I was doing as Jack wanted so I didn't need to be that afraid for now.

I made my way through to the three of them. They were waiting for the next class to start, so I found myself a quiet spot where I could listen to them without being noticed. I could hear them, but they didn't talk much. It was mostly Tilly who spoke, but she seemed only interested in food.

"So, no takeout? Fine, I'll make something once we're home..."

That was the only time she mentioned anything that could be considered as their hiding place, before the class started. I stayed there in the hallway, not knowing what to do. I would be in trouble if someone spotted me loitering around without a pass, but I didn't want to go to my class either – I would be late anyway, since it was held at the other end of the school, on the second floor.