49. Runt

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

It was really dark around me. I had no idea where I was. I couldn't feel anything around me. I was in bed, right? So why couldn't I feel the bed under me? Or was I standing? I tried to move, but I couldn't feel the floor under my feet. Like I wasn't walking at all, but I was walking... right?

I was getting really scared really fast. I wasn't in the cabin anymore. I couldn't hear anyone around me. I felt like I was suffocating when a thought occurred to me. Maybe we were attacked, and I was now possessed! Was this how it felt like? Being possessed?

"Jaden!" I yelled at the top of my lungs, but the voice came out muffled, like I was in deep water. "Jaden!"

A small spot of light appeared in front of me, so I started running towards it. I still couldn't tell if I was moving at all, but the spot grew bigger, larger, and soon, I could see what was in it.

It was... a puddle? When I got closer, I could see grass surrounding it. A small rock formation behind it. There was no trace of snow anywhere. The colors were weird, like my vision was clouded with the thinnest mist. Like I was watching a video with some kind of filter on it. The puddle and the ground around it were bathed in the brightest sunlight.

Once I reached it, I hesitated for a moment, before I stepped onto the ground. The darkness suddenly vanished, and I saw a mighty forest around me. I could feel a warm, gentle wind on my skin. I looked around, and stepped away from the puddle, feeling more confused than ever before.

And suddenly I could feel something cold against my hand. I yelped and jumped away, but when I looked down, I saw a black wolf looking up at me.

"Jesus, you scared the crap out of me," I breathed out, and scratched him behind his ear. "How did we get here? Wherever this is..."

Wolfie let out a quiet whine and turned around to look at the puddle. I followed his example and jumped again, when I saw a small child playing with the water.

"Hello," I said quietly, but the child didn't move. He couldn't have been older than seven or eight.

I looked at Wolfie, who was still staring at the child.

"I guess this is a dream. I think I'm not supposed to be here," I said quietly, looking around again. Now I could spot a few wooden houses in the distance. "I'm doing something weird again, aren't I?"

Was I in the spirit realm? Last time I had a dream like this, I heard a voice – Natalie's voice – saying that I was phasing.

"Yikes..." I chuckled. "I don't know how to get out," I explained, when Wolfie looked up at me.

"Hey, runt!"

The child in front of my jumped up on his feet by the sound of that voice. I turned to look at the rock formation, and saw three boys standing on top of it. They were around ten or eleven years old, and much bigger than the one by the puddle.