6. Memory

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

How was I supposed to follow Jaden without being noticed? I had to do it, or Jack would get mad at me. Meaning there would be no end in my hell. But if Jaden noticed me, or found out what I was doing... I didn't know if Jaden was as brutal as Jack, but his friends were bad enough. They wouldn't forgive me, that was for sure.

My cheek was still sore after the next class, reminding me I had a job to do now. So, when we were dismissed, I slowly picked up my things and followed my classmates on their way out. Once I was standing in the corridor, I stopped to take a deep breath – I would've started crying right then and there if I hadn't.

How did I get into such a big mess? How was this fair? I was powerless to stand against Jack, and there was no one to help me. I couldn't even start skipping classes since the staff at the orphanage would find out about it right away. My teacher would contact them immediately, and they would force me to come to school, and if Jack found out that I had tried to run away...

I took another deep breath. There was one thing I was good at, besides being invisible. Early on, I had learned to lock all my emotions away in order to survive. I had felt fear before, so this was nothing new. I just had to accept my fate, once again.

With that thought in mind, I straightened my posture and hoisted my bag on my shoulder, before I continued walking. Thankfully, the school was small, so it took me only a couple of minutes before I spotted Tilly in the second-floor corridor. I started following her, keeping my head down. I peered at her occasionally, trying to take in everything I saw.

The first and most notable thing I realized about her was that she ignored everyone in a cold manner, like she was a higher being, and the rest of us were not worth to even look at. There were only a couple of girls who tried to say hi to her, but the rest avoided even looking at her. The guys turned to check her out, but no one dared to say a word. It wasn't a surprise, not after seeing how she handled those guys she found annoying.

She seemed to love wearing flashy clothes as well. And high heels. I was still astonished she could kick so high in her stilettos and in a miniskirt without losing her balance. The way her male friends never even thought about backing her up when she was dealing with Jack told me a lot about her as well. She had some kind of fighter's aura or something, and I was sure everyone could sense that miles away.

I started to wonder, if it would've been for the best if I had just accepted Jack's beating. The longer I trailed Tilly, the stronger that feeling became. Jack was nothing compared to her. But... then again... if I just found out where their hiding place was, I wouldn't get hurt at all. Maybe. Hopefully.

I found myself down at the first floor again, and Tilly stopped all of a sudden. She turned her head just a little on both sides, like she was looking for something. I nearly stopped breathing, and retreated behind a row of lockers. I waited for a moment, before I peered at her. She hadn't moved at all. She just stood there, in the middle of the corridor with a bored look on her narrow face.