14. Guardian

-Arch-

-Arch-

Sometimes.... Sometimes I really wanted to hit the guy. Jaden. I understood him, yes, maybe even better than Tilly did. Tilly loved power, so she couldn't see why Jaden was so reluctant to accept his heritage. Jaden had witnessed the struggles his parents had gone through just to keep their position as the Alpha pair. Keeping their pack safe and united was a whole nother thing. Dealing with the Black Thorns was just the tip of the iceberg. Jaden was young and full of restless energy, and he was far from ready to be the next leader.

It didn't help that he had lost his trust in his own pack years ago, but Tilly never saw the worst of it.

But now was not the right time to be fucking about. Now was not the time to go around acting like nothing was going on. That was a danger alert. A strong one at that since we, too, could feel it. Tilly and I were his Betas. We already were so strongly tied to him it was almost impossible for us to not be his Betas. Whatever decisions he made affected us as well, and usually we were fine with whatever he chose, but now his decision to act oblivious was going against our very basic instinct that made us Betas – our need to protect the pack. It was fine if the consequences of our actions fell upon us three, but now someone else was in danger.

I stepped back inside and followed Tilly's scent until I finally found her at the back of the school. She was leaning against a wall next to a corner, staring at someone behind it with her arms crossed over her chest. I stopped next to her and sighed when I saw her angry expression.

"Don't try to make me apologize to him," she said harshly.

"I won't," I said quietly. "That was not the right moment for him to act clueless."

"Damn right it wasn't..." Tilly muttered and took a deep breath. "It's over. For now, at least. Whatever it was..."

I nodded. The danger we felt through Jaden was gone now, but if I knew something about danger, it was that if we didn't deal with it right away, it would return.

"I can't believe he acted like had no idea what was going on," Tilly muttered. "That could've been dangerous."

"I believe Jaden is still freaking out so bad that he's refusing to understand right now," I spoke.

"Yeah, well, that refusal could've cost the boy's life," Tilly said.

"I know. Trust me, I know," I said and stepped forward so I could see behind the corner. "Is that him?" I asked when I saw a lonely figure sitting on the floor, his head pressed against his knees and arms wrapped around them.

"Yeah, that's him," Tilly said.

"How is he?" I asked quietly, keeping my eyes on the boy.

"He's shaken, so something bad happened, but he's not injured from what I can tell," Tilly spoke. "Arch... He was scared. Like, really scared."