57. Withered

-Jaden-

-Jaden-

I was a bit shocked to find myself hugging Oliver all of a sudden. And then embarrassed when I realized he was naked. And then just utterly awkward when I hastily retreated back behind the door to give him some privacy.

Oliver laughed lightly at my reaction, so at least I did something right. I just hated to see him cry, and my instincts took over.

"We're both guys – there's nothing to be embarrassed about," I heard him say. "Besides – I'm used to taking showers with others. In the group home we have this big bathroom with six showers."

"I'm not embarrassed..." I muttered.

"Sure..." he breathed out slowly.

He started washing his hair, and I waited in silence while he was at it. I kept my eyes strictly on the ground the entire time. Soon, I heard him get out of the bath and grab his towel, but I still didn't look at him. When he stepped out the door and stopped in front of me, I hesitantly looked up at him.

He was wrapped in his towel, but I still felt like I was intruding his privacy, but he smiled at me.

"Thank you," he said quietly. "You're really good at making me feel better."

"I'm just as surprised as you are," I joked, making him laugh. That made me feel better. "I... I'll go wait upstairs so you can change your clothes."

He nodded, and I left him there into the basement, and climbed up the stairs. I went to sit down in the kitchen. For some reason, I couldn't stop smiling. Oliver was feeling happy, and that made me feel happy. I doubted it had anything to do with our bond.

I didn't get to sit there long, when I heard someone walking up to our front door. I saw a glimpse of my mom passing by the window, and I felt nervous all of a sudden. I hadn't seen her after my little rant at the Hall. And now I had Oliver using our bathroom...

Mom stepped in before I had enough time to freak out, and she looked at me in surprise.

"Why are you home?" she asked, closing the door.

I explained what we were doing there.

"Oh – do I get to meet him now?" she asked in curiosity.

"Do you want to meet him now?" I asked carefully – I hadn't even told her he was my mate, but she must have heard it from someone else.

"Of course," she smiled, and came to sit down in front of me. She was silent for a moment as she stared at me. "I want to apologize to you."

"Why?" I asked.

"The things you said... I never realized how hard I was being on you," she said, looking ashamed. "It's true. I was raising the next Alpha, not my son..."