31. Revelation

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

Help me!

I was almost in bed when I heard the voice at the back of my head. I stopped to a halt, my hands on the hem of my shirt since I was in the middle of changing my clothes.

Help me, Oliver!

I wasn't sure if it was a real voice or just a feeling, but it wasn't even important. I was suddenly filled with adrenaline, and I ran out of the room, pulling my shirt back down. I only stopped to put my shoes on. I was doing everything out of pure instinct. I knew exactly where to go without actually knowing where to go. I just ran straight into the forest.

I couldn't have run far, when I saw him. I couldn't see what was wrong, but I knew he was in great pain, and afraid. My heart was almost breaking from my own fear. When he fell on the ground, I feared the worst, and when I stopped next to him and saw the thin arrow deep in his side, I thought he was a goner.

I almost panicked. He looked up at me. He kept whining in pain. I didn't know what to do! How could I help him! There was no time...!

Take it out!

It was his voice. I was sure of it. It wasn't a voice at all, but it was still his voice. Jaden's.

I grabbed the arrow and pulled it out without giving it a second thought. I trusted that he knew it was the right thing to do. The wolf in front of me yelped loudly, and the voice in my head screamed, when I pulled the arrow out of him.

For a short second, I thought I did wrong. I thought that by removing the arrow I had caused more harm. But he quieted down, and stood up. He didn't let me see the wound, but somehow, I knew he was feeling better already. He wasn't in danger anymore.

He seemed shocked when I called after him. With his real name.

"I know it's you. I heard your voice. You were calling my name," I told him hastily, because I knew he wouldn't stay there any longer. I wasn't sure if he was panicking because he was just shot, or because I knew his real name, but he left in a hurry.

I stayed there, in the silent forest, holding a bloody arrow in my hand. It was then, when I realized what just happened. Well, I realized I had no idea what just happened, to be more precise.

I had no idea how long I sat there, staring at the arrow. I was... numb. If my instincts were telling me to get the hell out of there, I didn't understand it. After all, there was someone shooting arrows nearby. But no. There was room only for one thought in my head.

Wolfie was Jaden. Jaden was a wolf.

Slowly, I stood up. Wolfie – Jaden, was all right now. Panicking, but all right. How I knew that was something I wasn't sure I wanted to know just yet, but he was all right now. I started walking back to the orphanage. I still had the arrow in my hand. I didn't know what to do with it... It was too dangerous to leave in the forest for kids to find, but if I appeared at the orphanage holding it...